Tunisian Culture, what shocked you ?

Jasmine

For me it has to be the staying at home for 40 days after giving birth....it would drive me insane and the wrapping up of kids with the thickest blankets even in the summer.
Never mind staying at home, they stay IN BED :eek: They even expect the baby to be handed to them to be fed :rolleyes: (If only haha)

Moonsky

lol i've a U.S friend whom cousins got married
Believe me ... in any country or in any country marrying a first or even second cousin is medically advised against as it often leads to an abnormally high number of birth defects, which is not fair to any child who has to cope with that during their lifetime! To my way of thinking it is only a step or two away from incest.

The human race is it's strongest when the gene pool is taken from outside the family. Again medical fact and not based on any Darwinian theory.

ROULLA

For me it has to be the staying at home for 40 days after giving birth....it would drive me insane and the wrapping up of kids with the thickest blankets even in the summer.
Hi Gem, how are you? How old is your daughter now? Are you telling me that you didn't put your feet up for 40 day's.........I'd also go mad

sass

Great idea for a thread, Roulla. It is important that people marrying their Tunisian "other halves" understand what they may be in for!

I have a few things that shocked me. I have been living here for 10 years now so nothing really shocks me anymore :cool: but these were from my first visit here in 2001:

seeing someone give a 9-month old soda in his bottle
seeing a relative wash a whole chicken using laundry detergent
seeing a three year old with completely black teeth from eating sugar all the time
seeing a woman slap the crap out of her small child in the street
seeing all the young men in the coffees and on the streets in the middle of the day

And the one that has never changed in all 10 years I have been here - the GARBAGE everywhere and the people who constantly throw it on the street who then turn around and complain about how dirty Tunis is. Ugh. :banghead:
Hubby told me last week that they're attempting to bring in a litter dropping law with fines, how they're going to put that into action, who knows, might have to get rid of the layer that covers the country first,will be interesting to see!

gem15

Hi Gem, how are you? How old is your daughter now? Are you telling me that you didn't put your feet up for 40 day's.........I'd also go mad
Hi roulla, we're great thanks. Hows you and your family?

Lilia is 3 and a half now and has a 6 week old brother keeping her occupied.

It's lovely to have u back on the forum and breathing life back into it. X

Jane BM

Hubby told me last week that they're attempting to bring in a litter dropping law with fines, how they're going to put that into action, who knows, might have to get rid of the layer that covers the country first,will be interesting to see!
Have heard the same, few people have said perhaps it would be better to reward them for putting it in a litter bin...lol

ROULLA

Hi Sass, Hope that you are well!
A few years back they introduced a 25 dinar fine for those who smoked in the airport where the luggage arrives... Funny thing is that it's the actual POLICE that smoke.
Whatever they introduce will never be obeyed as some people do how they please, unfortunately

ROULLA

Have heard the same, few people have said perhaps it would be better to reward them for putting it in a litter bin...lol
I agree but how much of a reward are we talking about?

ROULLA

Hi roulla, we're great thanks. Hows you and your family?

Lilia is 3 and a half now and has a 6 week old brother keeping her occupied.

It's lovely to have u back on the forum and breathing life back into it. X
I'm so happy for you☺congratulations Gem . What did you call your son???
6 weeks old,,ahhhhhhhhh
Oh Gem, your know what it feels like when he gets corcumstised,,,I was crying my eyes out
3 and a half years old, Masallah Gem it goes by really quick .
Congratulations X X

ROULLA

Now there's one that I found shocking,,,,,circumstition, happy now as I find it cleaner . I was crying my eyes out years ago
I know most people have it done by lasers now but I've seen a few in Tunisia being held down, make your toe nails curl.

gem15

I'm so happy for you☺congratulations Gem . What did you call your son???
6 weeks old,,ahhhhhhhhh
Oh Gem, your know what it feels like when he gets corcumstised,,,I was crying my eyes out
3 and a half years old, Masallah Gem it goes by really quick .
Congratulations X X
His name is Jed. He will be circumcised asap. It was meant to be done by now but he had to be treated for jaundice for the first 2 weeks of his life so got way laid. It's now gonna be done during Ramadan so we don't have to do the big meal deal lol.

Time does fly by so already planning the next one hahaha.

X

Rosewater

His name is Jed. He will be circumcised asap. It was meant to be done by now but he had to be treated for jaundice for the first 2 weeks of his life so got way laid. It's now gonna be done during Ramadan so we don't have to do the big meal deal lol.

X
you see in tunisia ,every state has it's ''own'' culutre , when i had my cirucmcised we never had any meal , relatives,familes gave me just few gifts/toys and the circumcisionwas was done in the hospital.

Last edited:

Essem

Staff member
It'll no doubt be the same as the 'no more plastic bags law' so far that hasn't happened.

ROULLA

X
Really happy for you...
You will have to buy favour instead,,,,that is what there called in English isn't it???
Will Jed have lazer or old fashioned wayyyyyyyyyyyy?

ROULLA

you see in tunisian ,every state has it's ''own'' culutre , when i had my cirucmcised we never had any meal , relatives,familes gave me just few gifts/toys and the circumcisionwas done in the hospital.
Hi Rosewater, Hope that you are well!
My husband is from Nabeul and up until now they still get done the old fashioned way,,,,ouchhhhhh

Rosewater

Hi Rosewater, Hope that you are well!
My husband is from Nabeul and up until now they still get done the old fashioned way,,,,ouchhhhhh
Damn that's sick!!

gem15

Really happy for you...
You will have to buy favour instead,,,,that is what there called in English isn't it???
Will Jed have lazer or old fashioned wayyyyyyyyyyyy?
Laser all the way, the old way is just cruel.

Rosewater

We have a retard mentality , sadly.

sass

Hi R
Hi Sass, Hope that you are well!
A few years back they introduced a 25 dinar fine for those who smoked in the airport where the luggage arrives... Funny thing is that it's the actual POLICE that smoke.
Whatever they introduce will never be obeyed as some people do how they please, unfortunately
Hi Roulla, I'm very well thanks. The no smoking ban is now actually enforced at the airport, poor hubby had to seek out the new cafe which caters for smokers, it has double doors and fan extraction, a little progress somewhere at last!

scotty_bambam

Eating spaghetti from a giant bowl everyone at the same time.