Tunisian Culture, what shocked you ?

Scottochott

Well if it dares to walk, run, or fly round here it tends to get shot and put in the freezer, especially the ducks, lol!

Jane BM

:p
Well if it dares to walk, run, or fly round here it tends to get shot and put in the freezer, especially the ducks, lol!
Jeez, need to remember that....:p:p:p:p:p

ROULLA

The Greek people love lambs head with all that white jelly :eek: the butcher where I live always teases me and everytime I go in there he starts showing me different parts of meat to cook like testicles, tongues, hearts you name it.....yuk,yuk,yukkkkkk
What is the most common part of meat that you think is loved in Tunisia? I know that they like arseben, sorry about the spelling.

Aslemma

eat how dare you eat rabbit? :p i only eat meat,beef and chicken :)
So what is your definition of "meat"? All land animals and fowl can be considered as meat, whether or not we choose to eat them.

ROULLA

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to say that years ago when my mum first went to Tunisia we decided to surprise her and take her to a Greek Othodox church in Tunis and I was really shocked when my husband came into the church as I'd never really thought about it at the time and presumed that he would wait outside. When I confronted him about it he simply said that he didn't have a problem and that it was still the house of God.
I really do respect my husband for this and know that he is so down to earth.
Some people that he knows however seem to think that walking in a church is wrong, funny they don't think about this when their walking down the aisle because they need a visa :) hypocrites :mad:
I respect all types of religious but do not respect those that don't practice what they preach. Have you ever been in this situation before? Maybe you went with your husband to a wedding, did he enter the church?
What are your personal thoughts on this?

ROULLA

Roulla, is there Greek Orthox church in capital of Tunisia?
Yes and it's beautiful. There is also a humongous cathedral along Avenue Habit Bourguiba. Did you know that there is a Greek community in Tunis. The caretaker who looks after the church has worked there for nearly 30 year's and he is Tunisia and can speak Greek as well. My mum loves going there.

Rosewater

Yes and it's beautiful. There is also a humongous cathedral along Avenue Habit Bourguiba. Did you know that there is a Greek community in Tunis. The caretaker who looks after the church has worked there for nearly 30 year's and he is Tunisia and can speak Greek as well. My mum loves going there.
Have been to the church in habib bourguiba street, it was dark and depressed but loved it.

ROULLA

Have been to the church in habib bourguiba street, it was dark and depressed but loved it.
Hi Rosewater, Hope that you are well! I didn't really get much of a feeling in that church and like you said it was dark, cold and quite depressing with chairs all in a row.
I have to admit that the Greek one was lovely, they have a fig tree as you enter and once inside everything is gold, very warm and extremely clean. The feeling was amazing.

Selmi

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to say that years ago when my mum first went to Tunisia we decided to surprise her and take her to a Greek Othodox church in Tunis and I was really shocked when my husband came into the church as I'd never really thought about it at the time and presumed that he would wait outside. When I confronted him about it he simply said that he didn't have a problem and that it was still the house of God.
I really do respect my husband for this and know that he is so down to earth.
Some people that he knows however seem to think that walking in a church is wrong, funny they don't think about this when their walking down the aisle because they need a visa :) hypocrites :mad:
I respect all types of religious but do not respect those that don't practice what they preach. Have you ever been in this situation before? Maybe you went with your husband to a wedding, did he enter the church?
What are your personal thoughts on this?
Hi Roulla, we used to live in Malta and three of my four children went to catholic school/church, my husband has attended mass,Christmas productions, even helped out with summer school there. When we're not in Tunisia we travel all over and visit churches, synagogues, monastery's even been to the Vatican. Here in the uk we go as a family to weddings, funerals, christenings etc, like your husband mine says its gods house ! He's very open minded and very diverse, we don't have any issues regarding culture/religion. A question I wish to raise is "burials" sorry to be morbid, but a couple of weeks ago my father-in-law died and my husband had to make the mad dash to Tunisia to bury his father. Since then we have been discussing the "what ifs" my husband has announced that he wants to be buried here in the uk as this is his home ! In one sense I feel relieved but in other quite sad if that makes sense ? Have any others thought or organised this ? Thanks Roulla x

ROULLA

Hi Roulla, we used to live in Malta and three of my four children went to catholic school/church, my husband has attended mass,Christmas productions, even helped out with summer school there. When we're not in Tunisia we travel all over and visit churches, synagogues, monastery's even been to the Vatican. Here in the uk we go as a family to weddings, funerals, christenings etc, like your husband mine says its gods house ! He's very open minded and very diverse, we don't have any issues regarding culture/religion. A question I wish to raise is "burials" sorry to be morbid, but a couple of weeks ago my father-in-law died and my husband had to make the mad dash to Tunisia to bury his father. Since then we have been discussing the "what ifs" my husband has announced that he wants to be buried here in the uk as this is his home ! In one sense I feel relieved but in other quite sad if that makes sense ? Have any others thought or organised this ? Thanks Roulla x
Hi Selmi, wow you really got me there,really difficult question to answer.
I've never thought about death if I'm honest with you and I know that maybe I shouldn't think this way but I live for the moment. As long as I have my family around me then I'm happy and able to breath. I just Count my blessings. Life for me is a wonderful gift and I shall hang on to the precious times that I'm surrounded by my family, for me life is too short to think about what happens later.
I know that it will happen one day but I'll think about it when I feel that the time is right. At the moment I couldn't even begin to imagine not being on this earth without my family. I would however like to be parted with my soul mate and that's my husband. I better stop before I cry.
Sorry I couldn't answer your question Selmi.

Selmi

Hi Selmi, wow you really got me there,really difficult question to answer.
I've never thought about death if I'm honest with you and I know that maybe I shouldn't think this way but I live for the moment. As long as I have my family around me then I'm happy and able to breath. I just Count my blessings. Life for me is a wonderful gift and I shall hang on to the precious times that I'm surrounded by my family, for me life is too short to think about what happens later.
I know that it will happen one day but I'll think about it when I feel that the time is right. At the moment I couldn't even begin to imagine not being on this earth without my family. I would however like to be parted with my soul mate and that's my husband. I better stop before I cry.
Sorry I couldn't answer your question Selmi.
So sorry, didn't mean to upset you ! Of course life is precious, and we should cherish it at all times, but having just lost my father in law, nursing my elderly mother, and my mother in law its that time in our life that we are now asking those questions,more so For religious reasons and wanting to make sure things are in place! Wouldn't want anyone to go through what we have just experienced so so sad. Xx

Selmi

So sorry, didn't mean to upset you ! Of course life is precious, and we should cherish it at all times, but having just lost my father in law, nursing my elderly mother, and my mother in law its that time in our life that we are now asking those questions,more so For religious reasons and wanting to make sure things are in place! Wouldn't want anyone to go through what we have just experienced so so sad. Xx
Perhaps a new thread on berevement and the protocol in Tunisia ?

ROULLA

Last edited:

Selmi

Last edited by a moderator:

ROULLA

Thanks again Roulla xx
Hi Selmi, Your welcome. I had to edit your post as I noticed that when you quoted me I'd spelt Essems name wrong. X X

Amr

Some funny shocks out there lol !
I didn't experience any cultural shock in the UK, to be honest .
Although I must say, I find people here extremely nice , sometimes they overuse the word, thank you or cheers or Sorry , over nothing :D , this is different from say the US or France, but I like that .
Another thing, we Tunisian over-hug and kiss each other, and that can be so creepy sometimes ...
If you invite people in Tunisia and after a while they tell you goodbye and leave, you feel like you have to to convince them to stay , otherwise, you could look rude :D

The thing that shocks Tunisians the most in the UK or any western country is the Toilet ! you know, the fact that doesn't have the bidet, Just the paper..:D
You always have to take a shower right away and forget about your number 2 when you are not home ...

Last edited:

Njt11

How are you and your family finding the uk @Amr ?? You are up north too aren't you??