Tunisian Culture, what shocked you ?

Selmi

Hi Everyone, Hope that you are all well!
I think that it's really important that people know what they are letting themselves in for before marrying....

I've read so many stories where people get shocked at the culture.
My parents are Greek, so I also grew up in a Greek cultural world where so many things back then were forbidden.

I have never been shocked with the things that they did in Tunisia as I could relate to some of them..... Tell a lie, someone told me that they had been asked to eat the skin of their child's circumstition,,,,,,,,YUK I SAID
Another thing that shocked me over 30 years ago was when I was invited to my first wedding and they had what I can only descibe as scaffolding where the bride was sitting, swinging her fan backwards and forwards with a ghostly painted face like she had yellow jaundice...No offence.
The music was fantastic as I love Arabic music , but I couldn't understand why the bride didn't really dance... I now know it's because her dressed weighed a tone .

I have always had respect for my eldest and have always worn a jebba (long traditional dress) when visiting old people.. I don't like smoking in front of them and I try and help them in anyway that I can...
Is there anything that shocked you whilst in Tunisia????? I'd love to hear your stories
What is it that you find weird?
Ordering tea with milk, only to get MINT tea with milk urgh!! I always keep the tetleys in my bag now x

Rosewater

Do you have friends there Rosewater? A back up system? What kind of business is it you wanted to set up? Do you have the finances for it?

I agree with STC, I definitely say you need to visit the place first and see for yourself.
Of course i should visit the place first ,my dad was there with his friends in april and said it was lovely and amazing!!

I've my auncle there but i don't really wanna count on him , i want to count on myself.
and i don't have fiances for it that much but i can work for it.

Rosewater

Been there a couple of times before, lovely city ...
I still didn't ditch the idea of investing in a property there, the prices seems no different if not better than the ridiculously expensive Tunis .
But how are you planning on settling there, you can`t just go there as a tourist and start working, you need a settlement visa and the right to work.
But if you have a big amount of money ( which I am not sure how you can export with all the restrictions regarding hard currency export in Tunisia), The Turkish government would welcome any foreign investors ..

Also how is your Turkish, The Turkish people are not good with languages (apart from those who try to sell you their stuff in the markets) .. I had to learn some Turkish to communicate with the people in the street and to bargain in the market, I found that you can always get better deals on everything if they think you are local .
ugh when i go there i can apply for a residency , it's called '' Touristic residency '' and it's not that difficult to obtain. just google it.however there are many different residencies

my turkish level is still zero hehe and yeah turkish people are not good with languages.

ROULLA

Ordering tea with milk, only to get MINT tea with milk urgh!! I always keep the tetleys in my bag now x
Hi Selmi, How are you and your family ? That's funny.
Tea- Taye
Milk- Halib
Mint tea - Nana
I think as long as you can say the basics then you're fine.
Give me..... Artini .....
Please............Minfadlak
I'm no way perfect but I do manage to get by...
As for the tea bags in your bag, that's so funny:)

Aslemma

I usually have no problem with Tunisian tea bags, though I have been known to pick up Lipton's Yellow Label. The main problem I find is that they have little concept of actually boiling the water before adding the tea bag.

ROULLA

I usually have no problem with Tunisian tea bags, though I have been known to pick up Lipton's Yellow Label. The main problem I find is that they have little concept of actually boiling the water before adding the tea bag.
Hi Aslemma, another day and I'm hoping that you are getting better by the day. I have to say that I agree with you, I do like mint tea but I like it to be actually boiled with the water, rather than mint sprinkled to the boiled water in your cup.
I also like Greek/Turkish / Arabic coffee, but I find that they don't make it very well, half the time you end up with half a cup full of what looks like mud.:)

Selmi

Hi Selmi, How are you and your family ? That's funny.
Tea- Taye
Milk- Halib
Mint tea - Nana
I think as long as you can say the basics then you're fine.
Give me..... Artini .....
Please............Minfadlak
I'm no way perfect but I do manage to get by...
As for the tea bags in your bag, that's so funny:)
Hi Roulla. We are all very well thankyou, hope you and your lot are too ? Yes I do try but still even now get words mixed up, you mentioned halib I say habib !! Oops(my love) x

ROULLA

Hi Roulla. We are all very well thankyou, hope you and your lot are too ? Yes I do try but still even now get words mixed up, you mentioned halib I say habib !! Oops(my love) x
We are all fine thank you. I've said worse believe you me. I've muddled up butter and cough cough, ask your husband. Another one that sound relatively similar is umbrella and a women who gets paid for sex. When you ask your husband he will tell you how similar they sound, umbrella is S7aba and the other one begins with G.:) No offence is intended to anyone here. X

Selmi

We are all fine thank you. I've said worse believe you me. I've muddled up butter and cough cough, ask your husband. Another one that sound relatively similar is umbrella and a women who gets paid for sex. When you ask your husband he will tell you how similar they sound, umbrella is S7aba and the other one begins with G.:) No offence is intended to anyone here. X
O no !! It's easily done,and at least we can have an innocent laugh it's so good for the soul ! In our house will all have banter and laugh at the way we pronounce things, my kids say I put this accent on every time we're away ! And my husband calls everyone "make" instead of "mate" cringe or what ? Xx

ROULLA

O no !! It's easily done,and at least we can have an innocent laugh it's so good for the soul ! In our house will all have banter and laugh at the way we pronounce things, my kids say I put this accent on every time we're away ! And my husband calls everyone "make" instead of "mate" cringe or what ? Xx
Good afternoon Selmi, we also have banter at home and my lot are always telling me to think about the word before saying it if it sounds like a rude word especially. ;)X X

Selmi

Good afternoon Selmi, we also have banter at home and my lot are always telling me to think about the word before saying it if it sounds like a rude word especially. ;)X X[
Hiya Roulla, unfortunately it's the rude words we all get to know very quick!! And like wise the English ones that creep into the Arabic dialogue. My nieces and nephews now speak English very well, they like to mention the odd naughty word and giggle, thats kids. Xx

Shazza100

This made me smile...I too have made a mistake on the pronouncing the word butter...sat outside my husband's (then fiancé) home having some lovely breakfast, I asked him the Arabic word for butter, I repeated it a few times. My husband went red and asked me to keep my voice down so the neighbours couldn't hear...he said I think it might be better not to try this one again for now. I thought wow I must have been truly awful if he is so embarrassed until he explained the word I had actually said....ha ha...

ROULLA

This made me smile...I too have made a mistake on the pronouncing the word butter...sat outside my husband's (then fiancé) home having some lovely breakfast, I asked him the Arabic word for butter, I repeated it a few times. My husband went red and asked me to keep my voice down so the neighbours couldn't hear...he said I think it might be better not to try this one again for now. I thought wow I must have been truly awful if he is so embarrassed until he explained the word I had actually said....ha ha...
Hi Shazza,Hope that you and your family are all well! Another mistake are words that are so very similar that sound the same but obviously have different meanings :p
Another time it pelted down in Tunisia and I searched high and low looking for an umbrella to buy. Umbrella is called shaba:eek: I went into shop's asking for G...Instead ;)
Another word that sounds the same is a carousel and balls... I better not write it here as I don't want to offend anyone, ask your husband and listen to how they sound practically the same. I also love pumpkin but pronounce that to be poo. Imagine going to the market and asking for a piece of poo:confused:
Ask your husband about those two and listen. There are loads of words that sound the same.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one mispronouncing words :banghead: