Essem

Staff member
Classical Dance

Essem

Staff member

Essem

Staff member

catoussama

I am interested to know how dance and Islam sit together. I am still making a living as a contemporary dancer but at Mosque yesterday I was talking to the Imams wife and she said Allah understands I have to progress slowly but oneday i will need to stop and get a proper job....thoughts anyone? xxx

C

Cas

That is exactly what I would have imagined cat, maybe not "proper job" but things how you described not in line with a devout Muslim.
I know whilst at High School dance (as have seen shows during Ramadan) does take place in Tunisia and then after I think women that choose to follow their religion closely may dance at a family wedding but some do not. The other thing is as you know wearing body contouring dance outfits is not in line.
I am saying this as have had many conversations with a good friend she knows I love to dance and encourages me but will not dance herself except if we are alone to demonstrate some steps etc .
Things are changing and many young women do go to clubs etc but don`t know if you would ever see them at Friday prayers.

Janan

Banned
I think it is very welcome in Islam if woman dance as belly dance is good for health. But it must be only in closed rooms, where men and non-muslim women do not have access. This is what I think.
I very much like the jar dance - it iseems to me dressing is very sofisticated - there must be some tricks how to wrap to the dress, it multiplied moves of dancer,

however I dont think these half nacked dancers are different from strip dancers

ROULLA

ROULLA

Essem

Staff member
Sidi Mansour - Learn to dance class

Black Mamba

:D

I wish I can dance like that lol

I suggest searching for Tunisia Nouba

Black Mamba

More:

Really old show, I wish they bring it back, Carthage theatre in 1990

ROULLA

ROULLA

Very entertaining...

catoussama

Hmm its getting really difficult to do waht i have trained for for 24 years out of 28 and be a good Muslim. Where do you draw the line between art and unneccesary entertainment...I am not a stripper by the way just in case there was any misubdertanding...nor do I dance for commercial companies or the west end. The dance I do is never sexy or lewd but often talks about socio-political issues such as self hatred and body dismorphia in the latest work. Oh well...religion will win i think which is pretty major as I never imagined I would say goodbye to the very thing that makes me who I am.

ROULLA

Hmm its getting really difficult to do waht i have trained for for 24 years out of 28 and be a good Muslim. Where do you draw the line between art and unneccesary entertainment...I am not a stripper by the way just in case there was any misubdertanding...nor do I dance for commercial companies or the west end. The dance I do is never sexy or lewd but often talks about socio-political issues such as self hatred and body dismorphia in the latest work. Oh well...religion will win i think which is pretty major as I never imagined I would say goodbye to the very thing that makes me who I am.

Hi Catoussama hope that you are in good health! Maybe you can find what dance you do on YOU TUBE and share it with us if you don't mind..
You must have very fit legs doing for 28 years.

Janan

Banned
Hi catoussama,
it is all about decisions and may be also studying about islam. I also think you will feel pressure from family of your friend, becasue you mentioned it before.
I think the best is to rely on your own feelings, as you will grow to be better muslim one day you will accept that the dancing in public is not what you want anymore.

ROULLA

C

Cas

Thanks Roulla, can see now where we are going wrong Ha Ha......

Janan

Banned
:)

she is Brazilian, Cas is this Lebanese dance ?