Tunisian Food

Donna Fkih

My Husbands Mother is a fabulous cook and I can not
wait to prepare the Tunisian meals for my Husband...I have to get recipes to ensure that everything is delightful for my Husband. My experience with Tunisian has been wonderful!

Trulymadlydeeply

There is a recipe thread on here to get you started :)

Jasmine

A recipe for couscous that includes delicata squash

50e85bd6dff0e.preview-620.jpg

Couscous is a great alternative to pasta because it cooks so quickly. This recipe was inspired by a dish I saw on the menu at Le Pain Quotidien, a bakery/restaurant chain. It's made with M'hamsa couscous, a hand-rolled sun-dried couscous from Tunisia that has an especially toasty flavor. You could, however, substitute any brand.
I like delicata squash because its skin is edible, but this dish would be just as terrific made with roasted butternut squash.
COUSCOUS
  • 1 delicata squash
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1-1/2 cups water or broth
  • 1 cup M'hamsa couscous
  • 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 2 to 3 sprigs fresh parsley, minced
  • 1/3 cup minced fresh mint leaves
  • Juice 1 lemon
  • Salt and pepper
  • Feta cheese for garnish (about 1/3 cup)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
With a sharp knife, cut delicata in half lengthwise. (Don't worry about peeling; the skin is edible.) Scoop out the seeds. Cut each half into 1/2-inch segments, creating moon-shaped pieces that have slight bumps around the curve.
Arrange pieces in a single layer in a metal baking pan and coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Salt gently. Place in oven and roast 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the squash in the pan so that the light sides are now touching the pan and the brown sides are facing up.
Continue roasting, turning every 7 to 10 minutes until both sides of the squash pieces are golden, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring water or broth to a boil over high heat. Add couscous, stir, cover and return to boil. Turn off heat and let the couscous rest for 7 to 10 minutes, then fluff with fork.
Toss couscous with remaining olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions and parsley and mint. Add lemon juice and roasted squash, and toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with feta.
Serves 2 to 3 as a main dish, or 5 to 6 as a side dish.

http://www.heraldextra.com/momclick...cle_a3ad3c02-5758-11e2-b0be-0019bb2963f4.html

salim

A recipe for couscous that includes delicata squash

50e85bd6dff0e.preview-620.jpg

Couscous is a great alternative to pasta because it cooks so quickly. This recipe was inspired by a dish I saw on the menu at Le Pain Quotidien, a bakery/restaurant chain. It's made with M'hamsa couscous, a hand-rolled sun-dried couscous from Tunisia that has an especially toasty flavor. You could, however, substitute any brand.
I like delicata squash because its skin is edible, but this dish would be just as terrific made with roasted butternut squash.
COUSCOUS
  • 1 delicata squash
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1-1/2 cups water or broth
  • 1 cup M'hamsa couscous
  • 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 2 to 3 sprigs fresh parsley, minced
  • 1/3 cup minced fresh mint leaves
  • Juice 1 lemon
  • Salt and pepper
  • Feta cheese for garnish (about 1/3 cup)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
With a sharp knife, cut delicata in half lengthwise. (Don't worry about peeling; the skin is edible.) Scoop out the seeds. Cut each half into 1/2-inch segments, creating moon-shaped pieces that have slight bumps around the curve.
Arrange pieces in a single layer in a metal baking pan and coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Salt gently. Place in oven and roast 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the squash in the pan so that the light sides are now touching the pan and the brown sides are facing up.
Continue roasting, turning every 7 to 10 minutes until both sides of the squash pieces are golden, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring water or broth to a boil over high heat. Add couscous, stir, cover and return to boil. Turn off heat and let the couscous rest for 7 to 10 minutes, then fluff with fork.
Toss couscous with remaining olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions and parsley and mint. Add lemon juice and roasted squash, and toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with feta.
Serves 2 to 3 as a main dish, or 5 to 6 as a side dish.

http://www.heraldextra.com/momclick...cle_a3ad3c02-5758-11e2-b0be-0019bb2963f4.html
Thank you for the recipe Jasmine but this is M7ahmsa is not a couscous !

Jane BM

Guess what I'm having for my dinner tonight...cooked by my hubby!!!! Lamb couscous....yum yum yum yum.....lol

salim

Guess what I'm having for my dinner tonight...cooked by my hubby!!!! Lamb couscous....yum yum yum yum.....lol
OMG really i feel a bit jealous from you Jane which i was like Aymen , Sana try to help me through skype but i don't know i can't make it good i am looser :D

Jane BM

OMG really i feel a bit jealous from you Jane which i was like Aymen , Sana try to help me through skype but i don't know i can't make it good i am looser :D
So am I Salim......you'll just have to do like me, when Sana is here, get her to cook it lots!!!!!!

salim

So am I Salim......you'll just have to do like me, when Sana is here, get her to cook it lots!!!!!!
Sure Jane , sometimes she told me " you want me just for cooking? " i answers her always "Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure ....yes:D"

Jane BM

Sure Jane , sometimes she told me " you want me just for cooking? " i answers her always "Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure ....yes:D"
What you'll have to do Salim is learn to cook some good old fashioned British food, if you don't already know how to...then she can cook the Tunisian food and you can do the other!! When Aymen first came he didn't like the food much here, but now he really enjoys it...especially anything with beef...lol...so when we have Brit food, I cook, and when we want spicy...he cooks....perfect...lol

salim

What you'll have to do Salim is learn to cook some good old fashioned British food, if you don't already know how to...then she can cook the Tunisian food and you can do the other!! When Aymen first came he didn't like the food much here, but now he really enjoys it...especially anything with beef...lol...so when we have Brit food, I cook, and when we want spicy...he cooks....perfect...lol
I like spicy food so much , i can do Lablabi loooooool look easy for me than Couscous or any other Tunisian flat !

olliebaby

Oooh I'm cooking chicken couscous, brik and chicken tagine!!! Photos to follow!! :)

Although I've just tasted the sauce and ive put faaaar too much Harissa in! Looks like Mr T will be eating the majority of it!

Trulymadlydeeply

Photos too please and recipes ;)

Jane BM

Oooh I'm cooking chicken couscous, brik and chicken tagine!!! Photos to follow!! :)

Although I've just tasted the sauce and ive put faaaar too much Harissa in! Looks like Mr T will be eating the majority of it!
That's just greedy!!

Trulymadlydeeply

How was dinner olliebaby?

olliebaby

Lovely!! :) I'm trying to put some pics on but it won't let me !! Ill keep trying :)

elaine2

awhen i first went to hichem moms home lovedhis moms couscous and his sil made bread u could die for but i was always ill turns out i had ceoliac diesease cant eat glutten !!much better now but i miss couscous and spicy spaggetti and bread

Jane BM

awhen i first went to hichem moms home lovedhis moms couscous and his sil made bread u could die for but i was always ill turns out i had ceoliac diesease cant eat glutten !!much better now but i miss couscous and spicy spaggetti and bread
God that'd be my worst nightmare...lol...that and dairy!!

elaine2

yep cant do dairy either