Tunisian Kitchen

samwella

i cant think of the top of my head but I know I tried filo pastry and it didnt quite have the same effect, but I dont think you can get them over here, I know we bought a load back from france and tunisia last time we went so use them now, I know I tried to look everywhere for them even in the halal shops and couldn't find any

feefad

Thanks Sam, mental note to stock up on them in the summer :)

Bigbrother

We used filo pastry to make brik, I say we, hubby made it, I was “assisting” – clearing up!. Bought it in a local Chinese supermarket and it came out peeerfect! :)

Trulymadlydeeply

If anyone lives near Finsbury Park in North London lots of Algerian shops selling lots of food from Tunisia. Even homemade Harissa !

TASHA

Bought loads of herbs back from Tunisia last week and HUGE tub of Harissa and it cracked and leaked all over my suitcase!! My house still smells like tunisian now!!

sb123

Hi Tasha
This is always happening to me last time it was oil ruined my summer clothes never mind.
sb123

Andy

Tunisian food in Manchester

Does anyone live around the manchester area? If so your boyf/hubby will be very please to know that you can buy harrissa from the shops in Rusholme which has actually been imported from Tunisia...you can also buy them little diamond shape brown cakes (that sometimes have pistastio nuts in) from rusholme too.

Andrea :p

TASHA

Tashas Tunisian Couscous Recipe takes approx 20mins and serves 4

Ingredients
3 tbsp Olive Oil
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 Red Capsi***s (Sweet Peppers), chopped
1 teasp Caraway seeds
1 teasp Harissa
Salt
Boiling Water
400g/14oz Couscous

Instructions

1. Place the couscous in a large mixing bowl and pour in enough boiling water to cover by 12mm/1/2 inch. Cover tightly and leave for 10 minutes at which point check to see that it is cooked and that the water has been absorbed. It is ready when soft and aerated. If it isn't quite cooked, add a little more boiling water if necessary, stir gently, re-cover and leave for a few more minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add garlic, peppers and seasonings and sauté over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring from time to time.

3. Once the couscous is cooked, add the contents of the frying pan to the couscous and mix well. Serve hot.

Enjoy !!

Trulymadlydeeply

Could just eat that!! Would definitely warm me up on this miserable day.:)

nicolle

sounds good!Will try ...
What about 'thé à la menthe'? How many leaves in a cup? How long? Never tastes the same when I make it......
Thanks

ROULLA

Hi Feefad,

Hope that you and your family are all in good health !
The pastry which you are looking for to make brik can be bought in most halal butchers and is called malsooka, sorry about the spelling, and filo pastry is really ideal for burekya and most sweet things.....Try an arabic supermarket if you have one where you live, good luck
Take care

ginabeena37

filo

hi all
we tried filo pastry but it was not the same
will have to bring loads back on my next visit

ROULLA

Hi All,

Hope that you are all in good health ! The pastry that you use to make brik is called malsooka and can be found in most arabic shops.................or butchers........edgware road have always got some packets .

feefad

Thanks Roualla, have found a few halal shops up here so I'll have a lok next time we're in. :)

ROULLA

Hi Feefad,

Hope that you and your family are all in good health !
Im just glad that i could help even in a small way, so you are more than welcome.
Take care.................

Safiyah

Feefad,

Here in Florida, USA we find Egg Roll Wrappers to be a seamless, perfect substitute. Try it! I'm sre your husband will like it a lot better than phyllo, which is incredibly crumbly and delicate when fried.

As for the zgougou, I took some detailed field notes when my dear MIL was here from Dec 07 til Feb 08, and I can post for you what I learned. I speak Arabic and have access to my Inlaws daily on the web, so I can help with any Q's as well.

As for lice being involved, *wretch* that is just revolting. Try using quick hardening custard! There is a great brand called Abidou from Lebanon available in Middle Eastern markets here that my MIL said was absolutely perfect. I can get you the precise name if you want. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure its called Custard on the box. But I could be trippin'.

Hey btw I am a member of a Yahoo group for Wives of Tunisian men, and there are quite a few members residing there. If you want, please join and post any questions you have. Its a really fun bunch!
Copy and paste this address into your browser window: groups.yahoo.com/group/wivesoftunisians

Hope this helps
What I use for the cream part is

mint

Salem Alekom,

Heres my recipees.

Bismelleh,

TUNISIAN SALAD
This salad is amazing on a hot day.

Ingredients:

One lemon
Oliver Oil
Salt and Pepper
One big english cu***ber or a few small ones
Two tomatoes
One medium onion

Very Easy, chop the cu***ber/onion/tomatoes in cubes.

Dress with olive oil and lemon juice salt and pepper

Put it in the refrigirator so on a hot day its cold and refreshing!

(p.s. results may vary lol)

TUNISIAN BRIK

Brik is something we eat during the Holy Month of Ramadan. Little heavy but amazing.

Ingredients:

Brik sheets (kinda like a thin thin rice paper almost)
Eggs
Salt and Pepper
A big bouquet of parsley
Onion
4 or five patatoes

you can add tuna if you like

Peel and boil patatoes until soft.
Remove water, mash patatoes with fork and add one bouquet of chopped parsley and chopped oignon. Mix so the heat from the patatoes wilts everything down.

Once done put in a large bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.
Add eggs to mixture one at a time. You are look for a consistency thicker then an omelet. (Kinda pasty). This is the time to add tuna if you like.

The brik sheets are round so fold in the sides to make a square, spoon egg mixture in the center about two table spoons (the ones you eat). Remember the more you put the longer it takes to fry.

Fold the square in hald so it makes a triangle. Deep fry. You can poke it with a fork to let air out and the oil get in to cook the inside.

It is cooked when your fork comes out clean.

This is served usually with lemon slices and very hot :)

TUNISIAN MECHOUIA

This is like a salsa now I use a thing made to crush tomatoes (my grand mother makes her own tomato sauce ) but for this purpose we will use a mini chopper or blender.

Ingredients:

two large green bell peppers
two long peppers (the spicy ones dont know how to say it )
(you can also add banana peppers or chili peppers depending how hot you like your food)
two large tomatoes
one large clove of garlic
(you can add tuna)
olive oil
salt and pepper

You need to grill or bake all of the veggies.
So until peppers are soft, until the garlic clove (leave skin on ) is mushy. The tomatoes are usually done first.

On a large sheet peel all the skins off the peppers and garlic clove.

Put all the veggies ina blender and pulse. Not too long just make sure everything is cubbed. Add salt and pepper

Serve on a flat plate under a large spoon full of oil. Garnish ontop with tuna.

sb123

Hi Mint

Yummy Yummy i dont know if i will be making it as you know me not very domesticated but like to read your recipes anyway keep them coming hun.

regards sb123

mint

LOL Steph I kept you in mind when writing the recipes, these ones are easy!

Next up Couscous and Ouja

feefad

oooh mint you have to put up your recipe for ouja, I make it for my husband but i think i make it different everytime!!! he always says its nice but im not so sure.