Tunisian Kitchen

M

MEMO43

Good luck with Ramadan fee

feefad

Thanks memo, i may need it - hubby is actually cooking tonight - lots of tunisian dishes, tagine and something else i dont know how to say or spell :)

M

MEMO43

ooo sounds lovely...ENJOY!

K

Kamantha

Fee yr brave, I couldn't fast love me food too much

feefad

me too, smells coming from the kitchen are amazing. he phoned his mum for all the ingredients but wrote them down in arabic so not a hope of me being able to make it. Was gonna watch but would be so tempted to nibble. :)

sylviachoudry

we can eat soon happy din din girls

RachaelLahmar

Hiya Kassie,

What i did was just type in Google Tunisian Recipies and loads come up. Last night i made Chorba with Lamp for the 1st night and it was lovely! Exactly like his mums.

Also made Brik and Macaroni and Lamb with Filfil's yummy! lol

sparkle

hey rach, i made brik the other week it was really nice, but the filo is so fiddly and breaks grrrrr

sparkle

what do you use for the pastry x

RachaelLahmar

Yea Anis bought about 1000 peices when he came over! lol

What i always do if i am putting alot of filling in there or an egg then i just use double! lol I was so tempted though last night as i usually taste my food before serving it. We was just sitting at the table with our chorba in front of us steaming in its bowl, bread, fruit, water, macaroni and juices all in front of us!!!

That was the longest 4minutes of my life lol We where btoh just sitting there laughing as it must have looked funny to anyone that could see us! lol

sparkle

well i didnt want my dinner when it came round to the time i was bloated and i ate a few mouthfalls then just laid on the sofa and fell asleep, i woke up at 10 and ate the rest as i was hungry then but i do get to the stage where i dont wanna eat when i have gone all day. hopefully my stomach will adjust and i will be starved by evening when i get used to it.
ha ha i can imagine you two sitting there dribbling looking at your food, bless x x

jacqui0414

if you use about 3 bits of filo it works good for brik

sparkle

he he dont if you had seen me trying to get it from the worktop to the pan it was hilarious

jacqui0414

i know what you mean i was covered lol

sparkle

but i managed to do one using 1 sheet after 3 attempts and it was lovely
hubby tried to make one and his was rubbish ha ha

RachaelLahmar

Well no cooking for me tonight,

My dads friend who is also muslim and his wife are bringing round food for us tonight, they are from Pakistan so should be different food! Will let eveyone know what type they will have.

Im going to make her some brik before she comes round so i have something to giver her in return. And its easy to carry.

Marsa

do you ladies like dates ? my parents always start with one, but i never get used to that taste . dont like it really.
mmm ramadan food, chorba, salade , brik, stuffed eggplant with chicken and cheese, spanish eye(also very popular in tunisia; ok i must stop drooling, im fasting now

sparkle

have you a recipie for chorba

hubby is cooking tonight mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Rachel bet the food is really good, let me know tomorrow x x

dont like dates marsa x

Marsa

Indgredients:

1 whole chicken, jointed

1 cup chick peas, you can use dried that have been soaked overnight or canned. For this dish i don't see a problem using canned chick peas.

1 large onion, coarsely chopped

1 tomato coarsely chopped

3 tablespoons of tomato paste

3 cloves of garlic, finely minced

1 stalk of celery coarsely chopped

1 carrot coarsely chopped

1 potato cut into cubes

1/4 pound vermicelli noodles, cut into 2" pieces

1 tablespoon of tabil spice blend

1 tablespoon of tabil chili paste or harisa

3-4 leaves of basil

Salt and pepper to taste

Olive oil

Method:

1. Saute the onions for 20 minutes or until they begin to caramelize, add the garlic and saute for a few minutes more.

2. Add the carrots and celery, saute for about 10 minutes.

3. Add the tomato paste and saute for about 10 minutes over low heat. This is a very common North African cooking technique. It mellows out the flavor of tomato paste.

3. Add the chicken, chick peas and enough water to cover, season with salt and tabil spice blend, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer cook one hour.

4. Add the potatoes, tomatoes and tabil chili paste, taste for seasoning, add more salt if needed. Cook about 20 minutes longer, add the vermicelli and cook for a 5 minutes more.

5. Just before service add torn basil leaves.

I like to eat this with a leavened khobz and a side of harisa!

i would leave the potato out though!