Tunisian Kitchen

salim

no, you write it in arabic with a" خ" so in fonetic we write it with "ch" cause that is in my language the sound of them 2 letters, like in "chamsa''... If write it with a K in arabic it would be with a Kaf ك
don't take it like this , it wa not a jock or i want not to make things funny but if you try to google it it easy like i wrote !

KheeKhee

don't take it like this , it wa not a jock or i want not to make things funny but if you try to google it it easy like i wrote !
Salim the phoenetic language and spelling are very different for many countries:)

salim

Salim the phoenetic language and spelling are very different for many countries:)
kheekhee i think you don't understand things sorry !

annh

I think Kheekhee understands very well what I was trying to say...

Jenny

There is a difference between the Gulf countries and Egypt and the Maghreb countries, they are completely different.
Yes, I know. That's what I wrote :confused:

ROULLA

Waitrose have placed this recipe on their site so if anyone likes cooking/baking then here is another recipe..
Tunisian cake

With lemon, orange and polenta.

Preparation time:
15 minutes
Cooking time:
40 minutes
Total time:
55 minutes
Serves: 8 people
Ingredients

• 45g polenta
  • 200g golden caster sugar
  • 100g ground almonds
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • 215ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • grated zest 1 orange, finely
  • 1 lemon, finely grated zest
  • 2 tbsp icing sugar
  • Syrup
  • 45g granulated sugar
  • ½ orange, juice
  • ½ lemon, juice
  • ½ cinnamon stick, broken
Method

1. Mix the polenta, caster sugar almonds, and baking powder in a large bowl. With a wooden spoon, beat in the oil, eggs and the zests. Pour into a greased, lined 21cm cake tin and put into a cold oven. Turn it on at 190c, gas mark 5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
  2. For the syrup, boil the sugar and juices with the cinnamon stick. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then remove the cinnamon stick.
  3. Skewer the cake all over and pour the syrup over while the cake is cooling. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.

Jane BM

Waitrose have placed this recipe on their site so if anyone likes cooking/baking then here is another recipe..
Tunisian cake

With lemon, orange and polenta.

Preparation time:
15 minutes
Cooking time:
40 minutes
Total time:
55 minutes
Serves: 8 people
Ingredients

• 45g polenta
  • 200g golden caster sugar
  • 100g ground almonds
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • 215ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • grated zest 1 orange, finely
  • 1 lemon, finely grated zest
  • 2 tbsp icing sugar
  • Syrup
  • 45g granulated sugar
  • ½ orange, juice
  • ½ lemon, juice
  • ½ cinnamon stick, broken
Method

1. Mix the polenta, caster sugar almonds, and baking powder in a large bowl. With a wooden spoon, beat in the oil, eggs and the zests. Pour into a greased, lined 21cm cake tin and put into a cold oven. Turn it on at 190c, gas mark 5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
  2. For the syrup, boil the sugar and juices with the cinnamon stick. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then remove the cinnamon stick.
  3. Skewer the cake all over and pour the syrup over while the cake is cooling. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
I'm gonna give this a go Roulla, looks easy enough even for me. My MIL used to make one of these every week and cut it into smallish pieces and we'd have in the morns with my cup of tea....thanks for this, I'm gonna surprise my hubby tomorrow...lol

ROULLA

I'm gonna give this a go Roulla, looks easy enough even for me. My MIL used to make one of these every week and cut it into smallish pieces and we'd have in the morns with my cup of tea....thanks for this, I'm gonna surprise my hubby tomorrow...lol
I do like a nice bit of cake with my coffee, my favourte must be marble cake, my mum makes a mean marble cake but the Greeks tend to bake cakes in a round kind of pot that has a hole in the middle but I don't know what they acre called in English...Nope sorry brain cells dead:)might need a slice of cake to wake the brain cells up;)

Jane BM

I do like a nice bit of cake with my coffee, my favourte must be marble cake, my mum makes a mean marble cake but the Greeks tend to bake cakes in a round kind of pot that has a hole in the middle but I don't know what they acre called in English...Nope sorry brain cells dead:)might need a slice of cake to wake the brain cells up;)
I never had a sweet tooth till I met my husband...now not a day goes by without either a piece of cake or a pastry!!! That may be why I've put on half a stone since he got here!!!!
We've got some friends here who are Greek and Aymen just loves their desserts, I guess it all the sugar, reminds him of home.

ROULLA

I never had a sweet tooth till I met my husband...now not a day goes by without either a piece of cake or a pastry!!! That may be why I've put on half a stone since he got here!!!!
We've got some friends here who are Greek and Aymen just loves their desserts, I guess it all the sugar, reminds him of home.
I love sweet things but more of a chocoholic me,,what kind of desserts do they give you Jane ?

Jane BM

I love sweet things but more of a chocoholic me,,what kind of desserts do they give you Jane ?
I'm not sure of the names Roulla, obviously there's the Rumbaba type ones, then the little triangles with filo pastry with sweet syrup and nuts, then the ones that are rolled with like angel hair on them. Basically lots of Filo type pastry, lots of sugar and lots of nuts, which is why he loves them so much.

Trulymadlydeeply

Is it a bundt (sp) pan roulla mou? I'm sure my friend calls it something like that. She make a lovely marble cake in that too :)

Baclava Jane very sweet lots of syrup yummy ;) my sons favourite too!

ROULLA

Is it a bundt (sp) pan roulla mou? I'm sure my friend calls it something like that. She make a lovely marble cake in that too :)

Baclava Jane very sweet lots of syrup yummy ;) my sons favourite too!

Hi Truly mou hope that you and your family are all well! Yes I am more than sure that you know what it is,,sorry I really don't know what they call it in English but we call it Formaa:)

Essem

Staff member
100_2718.JPG

Pasta in a rich tomato sauce with fried peppers.

Essem

Staff member
100_2719.JPG

Fresh chicken, home made chips and peppers :)

Essem

Staff member
100_2931.JPG

Oraganic cucumbers and tomatoes with onion and olives dressed with fresh olive oil and lemon.