Tunisian Kitchen

Sana

www.tunisia.com

Hi Truley
it's a kind of thin wheat :)

Tunisianbelle

Thanks for the recipe Sana!

suverny71

Oh we love this dish...my hubby makes it from time to time and we both used to eat it after a night out in Tunisia.

We use french stick a day or so old then break into dish add the ingredients etc and then yum yum x

suverny71

Does anyone know what this is called in English??

My hubby brought some with him from Tunisia and made delicious soup with this added but we have run out and cannot find it anywhere???

Thanks

Sana

www.tunisia.com

Hi
it is called in English " Frick soup" , it is very delicious , we prepare it mostly in Ramadan :)

ROULLA

Hi Suverny71,

Hope that you and your family are all in good health !
Chorba can be bought in most halal butchers...........Its like harrissa, my husband likes it really hot being from Nabeul and thats where we buy it from..........Morrissons sells a small jar that says harrissa on it but it really is not like the real Cap bon
Take care

suverny71

Hi Roulla

Thanks for this... I can buy Harissa ( Cap Bon) its the small rice/wheat stuff that u put in the soup that we wanna buy. cheers

Dave+Bob

We had some merguez sausages made by our butcher here in Gloucestershire - he used harissa from sainsburys, but it was not harissa as we know it. We now stock up in Tunisia.

Dave and Bob

ROULLA

Hi Roulla

Thanks for this... I can buy Harissa ( Cap Bon) its the small rice/wheat stuff that u put in the soup that we wanna buy. cheers

Hi Suverny71,

Hope that you and your family are all in good health and a happy new year to you for 2009..............
I know that most halal butchers sell chorba....................Take care

Trulymadlydeeply

Most of the shops where I am are Turkish, they sell everything even the sheets to make brik! Harrisa says good ol Cap Bon on it in a little yellow tin :)

Delstar

its basically crushed wheat, not sure where you can buy it from in the UK but it is definately wheat..... :)

Sana

Here i give the recipe of Salad michwiya , so that u can prepare it at home ;)
i know most tunisians like it , it's extremely delicious :)

Salad michwiya

Recipe
Tomatoes: 250g
Peppers: 250g
Hot peppers : 100g
Tuna: 100g
Olives: 100g
Eggs: 2

Garlic: 2 cloves
Lemon: 1
Onion: 1
Oil: 4 tablespoon
Caraway: 1 / 2 tablespoon
salt: according to taste

first of all ; boil 2 eggs and cut them into quarters, peel the cloves of garlic and grind them together with the caraway seeds and a large pinch of salt. Pit the olives and cut the tuna into pieces.

After that ; grill tomatoes, peppers , hot peppers and an onion of medium size in the oven or in live embers. Turn the vegetables several times and once they are cooked; wash , trim , peel, and cut them into pieces .
dress the mixture of garlic and caraway then correct salt.

finally ; prepare salad on a serving platter, sprinkle the oil and lemon juice and decorate it with olives, tuna pieces and eggs .

[email protected]

nice salad.why i didn't taste not one of these tasty dishes ,you describe ,when i was in tunisia?i must come back!!!!!!!!!!lol
xxx

feefad

oooh cant believe you havent tasted this. it's my favourite by my mother in law, love it with fresh bread.

Essem

Staff member
Definitely one of my favourites!

[email protected]

except brik and couscous nothing else Tunisian in the menu of the hotels.next time i'll take directions from all of you where to go!

Tunisianbelle

except brik and couscous nothing else Tunisian in the menu of the hotels.next time i'll take directions from all of you where to go!

If you ever go to Djerba, let me know. There is an EXCELLENT restaurant there that serves only authentic Tunisian food and is very reasonably priced. I think I made my hubby take me there every day when we went to Djerba! :D

Sana

www.tunisia.com

who have prepared it at home?