Tunisian military service ~ important that you read this!!

kalie

Got hubby home for 24hrs, thank God he has only 2 weeks left xx

lele

hello i wonder if anyone can help me as im new to all this going back in feb i was with my fiance in sousse when his mum called saying he had a letter from millitary for service he had to go to contact centre with all his info but as he was with me he couldnt attend first date so they sent him another when he got back from sousse to his home town he attended the centre and he had to then go back sunday 3rd of march, since that day ive heared nothing at all he was leaving his phone at home as advised by his friend cause sometimes phones get stollen im beside myself with worry is there anyway he can get himself out after 21 days as ive read. ive been with him a year he is a really good man who never ever asked me for anything unlike some of them i also have a flight booked for 29th to be with him but now my mind is all over the place also its imposible to contact his family as they dont speak english please if anyone got some good advice will be gladly needed

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
hello i wonder if anyone can help me as im new to all this going back in feb i was with my fiance in sousse when his mum called saying he had a letter from millitary for service he had to go to contact centre with all his info but as he was with me he couldnt attend first date so they sent him another when he got back from sousse to his home town he attended the centre and he had to then go back sunday 3rd of march, since that day ive heared nothing at all he was leaving his phone at home as advised by his friend cause sometimes phones get stollen im beside myself with worry is there anyway he can get himself out after 21 days as ive read. ive been with him a year he is a really good man who never ever asked me for anything unlike some of them i also have a flight booked for 29th to be with him but now my mind is all over the place also its imposible to contact his family as they dont speak english please if anyone got some good advice will be gladly needed
Hope he gets in contact soon.

Its not like the old days even my 70 year old mother in law has Skype on her phone now in Tunisia. So even if his phone has been knicked I am sure a mate would let him text or facebook you etc.

Maybe he is in barracks undertaking an induction and i would hope that he would be in touch soon.

I would anticipate that if he wishes to contact you he will do soon. If you do not have a means to get hold of him and do not hear from him over the next couple of weeks I would re asses your trip.

MO2915

Hi Jenny
I can just imagine how frightened you must have been. You were lucky to have his family with you. I hope things are ok now.
Hi everyone,
I just want to share with all of you an experience I had this Christmas when my bf was taken in for military.

It was Saturday evening and we were on our way back from Tunis were we had visited his familiy. My bf lives in Hammamet and at that time I also rented an appartment there. In the car back it was me, my bf, one of his friends and my bf's aunt. Before we were going to my appartment we stopped by his friends house because he wanted to change shirt. My bf and he went inside but since it just was a short stop they kept the car engine running and the car wasn't parked very well. While they are inside a pick up is driving towards us and making signals with the lights. My guess is that they think they will have problems passing our car, but they pass with no problems. But then the pick up is turning and coming back and 2 men are jumping out of the pick up. By that time has my bf and his friend returned to the car. These 2 strange men starts talking to my bf and his friend. I can hear Sweden being mentioned so I understand that they are explaining that I'm from Sweden, otherwise I don't understand anything. My bf's aunt goes out of the car to join the group, but I'm asked to stay in the car. To me it sounds like they are having some kind of argument, but ofcourse I often think the arabic language sounds like that. Suddenly the strange men grabs my bf's arm and take him to the pick up and drive away. This was with no doubt the most scariest experience I ever had: it's dark outside, I'm in a foreign country, I don't understand the language, my bf is taken away by some strange men and I don't know what is happening. But the other ones tells me not to worry and explains that the strange men was police men in civil clothes and that my bf hadn't brought his ID card with him. And unfortunatly he had only mentioned 3 of his names and not all 4 so when the police had called to make a check in the computor system they didn't find a match. So they had to take him to the police station otherwise would the policemen risk being accused taking a bribe.

So we are also going to the police station to pick him up. When we have waited outside the police station for more than one hour his aunt and friend goes inside to see why it take so long time. I'm once again asked to stay in the car. After a while they return and the look very serious when they inform me that the police found out that my bf hadn't made his military service so they will keep him in custody until Monday when he will have to go to the military base in El Kef (close to the Algerian border) and sign some papers. Now I starts crying because I think everything is awful and I wish that I had stayed in Sweden and had a normal Christmas with my familiy instead of being in a country were I don't understand how things are working. My bf's friend are calming me and says that he will be at my service the all time. My bf's aunt will also stay with me in my appartment instead of going back to Tunis and the day after is also his mother coming from Tunis to stay with me. So I'm very well taken care of.

The next day, Sunday, we are going to the police station with food for him for every meal. They do serve food but it's of very poor qlty. When we see him it's like in a movie, he is behind bars and we are at the other side. He is allowed to use his mobile phone while in custoday.

On Monday morning we are going to the police station for after that going to El Kef. Since my bf is the only one that is taken to El Kef at this point it's ok that we go in our car but together with a policeman (the policeman as is going with us is very nice person). Even though the purpose of the trip isn't nice it's fun seeing some more of the country. When we are stopping in a small village to eat some, I have never ever felt so white before. People are really, really staring at me.

In El Kef at the military base we drop of my bf and meanwhile he signs some papers the rest of us is going for coffée. It just take a few hours and then we can return home. The papers he signed said that he after 2 weeks from that date will have to start his military service for 1 year or start with the monthly payment if he only wants to do the basic training of 21 days (don't need to say what he choosed)

I have seen that there has been some questions about how much they have to pay for only doing the basic training. If I have understood it correctly it's as below
It's monthly payments for 11 month. The payment is based at the salary
Less than 2 times the min. salary (I think the min. salary is around 200 dinars/month), it's 30% of the salary
2-4 times the min. salary, it's 40% of the salary
more than 4 times the min. salary, it's 50% of the salary

If you want to know more the ministry of national defense have a website www.defense.tn where you can read all about it. But right now it's only in french and arabic. At that website it also says that there are some cases you don't have to do the military service (my bf had never heard about it before so I don't know if it's just in theory)

It's not just being a student of having childrens as makes it possible to not having to do the military service. Below are some other cases

The father is over 65 years old
He has been married for more than 2 years

Below are some reasons to postpone the military service for 1 year, they are renewable
At least one unmerried sister
A brother that is younger than 20 years and a student
The father is sick

I hope this information can help someone, even though I hope that none of you ever will be in the same situation as I was that night when my bf was taken in. I don't want to think about how it would have been if I never met his family before. Even though I'm an experienced traveller, in my work I often goes to countries like Bangladesh, Jordan, Israel, China and it's not always things runs smoothly. But I still think that that night was very scary.

B rgds
Jenny
I have been through this when I was a young man in Tunisia. It is not nice but it's the law. They can take you anywhere and any time to do your obligatory military service just like many countries. I am not sure about payments but there are rules. Check them out first. I now wish I did mine then, it would have solved alot of hassle for me but I had other plans and had to be very careful. Once the service is done bf would have no more worries from police. If you love each other you'll stick together no matter what. Good luck.