Tunisian Romances

SHEZUK

Hi all - looking for some advice ;-)
Met Tunisian boyfriend while on holiday in Turkey - he works for Animation team (illegally of course, although he now has residence visa, not work visa) there in April 2012. Visited him twice since - we phone constantly, everything is genuine from his point of view and mine. Must be love.
I do not know what to do next. Help please!
1) Do I keep visiting him in Turkey and/or Tunisia when he returns - how long for can I keep this up?
2) Ask him to return to Tunisia asap - but then job is hard to find in Tunisia
3) Get married (where, when?)
4) Does he need to do an English course? Can he study here to do it? Is this easy Visa to arrange?
5) Try to get him a visitor visa for here, even though he is working illegally at the moment, or would apply from Tunisia without a job (more hopeless!?)

Any advice please!!!! I am a teacher, so have money to sponsor everything - but long time between my visits..
Thank you

maynardlynne

Hi all - looking for some advice ;-)
Met Tunisian boyfriend while on holiday in Turkey - he works for Animation team (illegally of course, although he now has residence visa, not work visa) there in April 2012. Visited him twice since - we phone constantly, everything is genuine from his point of view and mine. Must be love.
I do not know what to do next. Help please!
1) Do I keep visiting him in Turkey and/or Tunisia when he returns - how long for can I keep this up?
2) Ask him to return to Tunisia asap - but then job is hard to find in Tunisia
3) Get married (where, when?)
4) Does he need to do an English course? Can he study here to do it? Is this easy Visa to arrange?
5) Try to get him a visitor visa for here, even though he is working illegally at the moment, or would apply from Tunisia without a job (more hopeless!?)

Any advice please!!!! I am a teacher, so have money to sponsor everything - but long time between my visits..
Thank you
hi
the first 3 questions is upto you to decide.
4. yes he needs to do english test IN tunisia.. once he has passed the test, the visa application is easy to do aslong as you meet all the requirements, which you will find on the UKBA web page.
5. not sure about visitor visa as it used to be hard to get. not sure about it now.

im sure people with recent applications will give you more info.:)

good luck

lynn

well if you earn £16000 a year its worth a try, if you earn below that, you will find it hard to get a visa..the visa process is not an easy one and you will meet obstacles along the way.

You need a lot of patience it is very time consuming...good luck :)

SHEZUK

Hi - thanks for your replies - yes I do earn over 16k - does that make a difference then? I earn approx 3x that.
I am thinking of getting bf to apply for visitor visa to come here late October - January. Coming here from Turkey then returning to Tunisia in early January. But he will need a 'reaso'n to return to Tunisia I am guessing that would stand up to UK Borders (other than the fact that he misses his family). Do you think something like a paid English course & test in Tunisia starting in January would suffice (as getting some sort of work contract would be rather difficult me thinks!). He would need to do the test anyway. Has anyone else got experience of good courses in Tunisia he could do - or other things that could be useful?

Jenny

Hi Shezuk,
welcome to the forum, hope you will enjoy it here :)

Re a visitors visa, from what I understand it's more difficult to get a visitors visa to uk than to most other European countries. The praxis the migrationboard in Sweden are using is saying that a visitors visa application from a young man from a nothern african country shall be rejected unless he is well established in his home country. That is, having a good job, a business or properties so that he has a reason to return and and has no financial gain in staying here. My husband got visitors visas here to Sweden before we got married, so it's not impossible, but if not having a good job it will be very difficult.

Good luck with everything!

Trulymadlydeeply

Hardest thing to do if bf is not working is intent to return. Not sure if an English test would suffice to meet these conditions? They may take it into consideration as if you are intending to marry at a later date it is a requirement for the visa! This could be stressed in a cover letter along with the application.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

lainie

Hi - thanks for your replies - yes I do earn over 16k - does that make a difference then? I earn approx 3x that.
I am thinking of getting bf to apply for visitor visa to come here late October - January. Coming here from Turkey then returning to Tunisia in early January. But he will need a 'reaso'n to return to Tunisia I am guessing that would stand up to UK Borders (other than the fact that he misses his family). Do you think something like a paid English course & test in Tunisia starting in January would suffice (as getting some sort of work contract would be rather difficult me thinks!). He would need to do the test anyway. Has anyone else got experience of good courses in Tunisia he could do - or other things that could be useful?
hi shezuk
my husband got vv in feb and has just been awarded settlement last week.

with vv he need to prove "intent to return" beyond reasonable doubt.
my husband was successful as:

1. he made a strong case for reasons for visiting the uk, not settling at the time
2. had a job to return to and a letter clearly stating this
3. payslips showing he was paying cnss
4. his own home in tunisia (deeds and supporting bills)
5. his sideline business sellin sheep/chickens, etc
6. modest savings in the bank
7. had researched flights etc and the dates on his app matched up with my holiday dates etc

without a strong proof of intent to return, vv will not be granted

lainie

hi
the first 3 questions is upto you to decide.
4. yes he needs to do english test IN tunisia.. once he has passed the test, the visa application is easy to do aslong as you meet all the requirements, which you will find on the UKBA web page.
5. not sure about visitor visa as it used to be hard to get. not sure about it now.

im sure people with recent applications will give you more info.:)

good luck

he doesnt need to do the enllgish test in tunisia, can do it anywhere as long as it is on the list

SHEZUK

Hi all - thanks so much for your responses! Very helpful - please keep them coming.
I have to try and play it a little more slowly than I intended I think. Fact is that he is going to find it difficult to get a job in Tunisia/show history of savings or purchase a house there (he is only 24) - especially all the time he is living in Turkey. It might be possible for him to get work contract in Turkey with work visa - but that in itself is an enormous effort too..! So I think I just have to be realistic about how often we will be able to see each other (as hugely depressing as that is) over the coming year. Thing is - I have only just returned from seeing him in Turkey and I always end up stupidly morbid on return as I miss him so much.
Fact is - he will probably only be able to come here after marriage in UK or Tunisia ... he is happy to wait for as long as I need to be happy about getting married - but I worry that it would be such a huge thing for him... if next summer maybe we get married then he comes to UK without having visited before. Do any of you have any tips about how to 1) prepare marriage in Tunisia or UK and 2) any stories for how difficult/easy it will be for him when he finally comes and lives in the UK with me... (jobs, happiness, adjusting to UK life, etc) xx

Jane BM

Hi all - thanks so much for your responses! Very helpful - please keep them coming.
I have to try and play it a little more slowly than I intended I think. Fact is that he is going to find it difficult to get a job in Tunisia/show history of savings or purchase a house there (he is only 24) - especially all the time he is living in Turkey. It might be possible for him to get work contract in Turkey with work visa - but that in itself is an enormous effort too..! So I think I just have to be realistic about how often we will be able to see each other (as hugely depressing as that is) over the coming year. Thing is - I have only just returned from seeing him in Turkey and I always end up stupidly morbid on return as I miss him so much.
Fact is - he will probably only be able to come here after marriage in UK or Tunisia ... he is happy to wait for as long as I need to be happy about getting married - but I worry that it would be such a huge thing for him... if next summer maybe we get married then he comes to UK without having visited before. Do any of you have any tips about how to 1) prepare marriage in Tunisia or UK and 2) any stories for how difficult/easy it will be for him when he finally comes and lives in the UK with me... (jobs, happiness, adjusting to UK life, etc) xx
Hi and welcome to the forum...

My husband also used to work in Turkey, he had a work contract there for 9 months, this was before i met him, but i do feel that it definitely opened his eyes a little to all things NOT Tunisian...even though it was only Turkey.

We didnt go the VV route, we married in July last year in Tunisia and then we applied in November last year for him to settle here in the UK and he was accepted and moved here in January, so has now been here for 6 months. I guess it depends who you talk to as to the different experiences people have or how they have acclimatised to living in the UK, my husband has not really experienced any problems that i know other people have, hes never experienced any form of racism whatsoever, yes of course it is very very different living here as it is to Tunisia, but hes adjusted really well, he loves our TV, he likes the whole working during the week and then going out and having fun at weekends, he doesnt miss the coffee shops there, and he has been fortunate to find full time work relatively quickly. For me i think it depends how open your partner is for change, because it is so different, but he has accepted that to live in the UK and with me here then things that were important there or a way of life there are just not the same here. For example we dont search for halal meat, he doesnt mind, in fact enjoys going to the pub, he couldnt even tell you where the nearest mosque is!!, now some may find that shocking from a Muslim, but i dont, and quite frankly its made our marriage/relationship far easier right now coming from different cultures and religions.

Trulymadlydeeply

Search the wedding and visa threads shezuk loads of info on those.

missmetal

Hiya

My hubby came to Canada (vancouver) and has also adjusted relatively well. We've had our challenges, coz unlike Jane, hubby had to have halal meat and so our shopping trips are interesting. Mind you the halal butcher is way cheaper than the supermarket :)

I took hubby to my home country, South Africa, and that gave him a taste of western life. Despite being a holiday, he was presented with meeting all my family that are left there and he coped really well. We spent hours and hour and hours talking about life here, how expensive it is, even though they dont really get it they say they do but they dont until they are earning the pennies themselves. We might have better infrastructures but that comes at a cost.

Your advantage is that your guy is living outside of his country, so he's had to learn to adjust somewhat. So this could help you. My suggestion is talk about it, fight about it, test him and keep visiting him :) You can learn a lot this way, but the biggest test will be when he moves over and then you need even more patience. And thats because everything you told them about they 'heard and understood' but they did not really realise it until being there and living it :)

I also wanted my guy to visit first before coming to Canada but he got denied visitors visa, so thats why I took him to South Africa. I think it helped convince the govt that I was serious about this guy, considering i introduced him to my parents.

lainie

hi shezuk
here'e another version
my hubby came on vv in feb and i ws so worried how he would settle in the cold of scotland.
first few weeks were hard as i was at work all day (he wasnt allowed to work on vv) so he was home alone and only wanted tune food (altho halal not an issue)

missed his friends and the cafe so much and felt like a guest in our flat even though i did my all to make him feel welcome. didnt feel comfortable in restauramts etc at first and then started praying again! a lot of small silly fights that turned serious then after 5 weeks he went back to tunisia so see his family (his mother was ill).

came back a different man, realsiing that altho the streets of the uk were not paved in gold we did in fact have a nice life together and stopped moanin baout not haing settlent, realising this was even betteras it gave him time to decide - he asked to stay til end of visa - i was thrilled.

in april he started concentrating on improving his english, joined 2 football teams and has made friends. he comes to meet me at work and talks to random people in shops etc, lol.

he confessed he had been nervous that i might be different in the uk and that he was relived to find i was the same person as in tunisia. he adores my family and is a very happy man here.

in this 5 month period we got him a gp, dentist, looked at possible jobs and generally just settled into life here - boring though it may sound. he passed his english test here with flying colours and is looking forward to coming to collge to do more study.

when we arrived here in tunisia a few weeks ago he muttered that he didnt like it and missed scotland!
i imagine all thus helped as we got settlement in less than 2 week s- in fact visa approved in 2 days - just had to wait for passport to come back from paris.

as a footnote you will need to take things slower, we had been together 6 months before we got engaged and saw each other every 6 weeks. married after a year and now one year married this friday.

good luck

Mouse94

Hi I am in the same situation you were in. I am with a tunisian who was an animateur. He has now quit as an animateur as it is not a couples type of job. I am trying to get him a visiting visa to the UK for a 2 week holiday. I was wondering if you ever got your boyfriend to the UK?
Thanks
RE: Tunisian Romances

Hi ya,

I met my boyfriend in Egypt he was working as Animation, we then both decided to try and make a future, and as i am sure all the girls know on here when your man is in Animation you gotta watch out!! We had a lot of problems whilst he was in Egypt and so decided together to move to his home in Tunisia, we then both left our jobs and moved to Tunisia where we are still living together and trying to make as much as we can here, we are hoping to get a visa to the UK as i am very homesick and to be honest, normally at home i go out a lot, with my friends clubbing etc but have no social life here at all as i cannot speak the language, and can just sit on the internet all day. But as all my friends keep asking em was it really worth it, yes i have found the man i wil spend the rest of my life with, never in a million years did i think he would be Tunisian!!!!! now we just have to find a good situation, we have had so many problems making this relationship work we can now battle through anything. Yes Animation is a love rat, meat eating job, but there are a few that are genuine, but i have tested my boyfriend as much as possible lol!! so i now know its for real.

Anyway sickly as it is i just thought i would share it with you, for the girls that are falling in love with someone from the Animation team i would advise you to be very clever, always be one step ahead, test them, but never give up on them if you knwo its for real x

Mouse94

Hi I was wondering if you got your boyfriend to the UK (If that's where you are from? I'm only guessing)! And if you did would you have any advice for someone like me who is trying to get their boyfriend to the UK as I have made him quit his Animateur job, as we all know its not a couples kind of job. Thanks.

Yes definately clever, the best thing that happened in our relationship was him leaving Animation, he loved his job (surprise) but there was no way it could have worked if he had stayed, and i certainly saw what they were all up too, it is sad because if you pick the wrong one you can seriously get misled, no matter where you go even Egypt the Animation team is Tunisian and the girls are 90% Russian, the games that get played are awful. Once they get it, its hard but worth it, my boyfriend is now working as an Electrician i know Animation will remain in his life but at least what came with the job has gone, i would definately say to anyone who is dating an Animator to ask them to leave if they are serious about you then they will no matter what, my boyfriend was out of a job for 5 months and it was hard going, test to the end lol.

Mouse94

Hi Helen, I was wondering if you had any advice on getting my Tunisian boyfriend to the UK? Thanks

Hello, I met my husband when he was working in animation as well! It is true what Kellyc was saying about staying one step ahead and keep "testing"! I know that sounds ridiculous but with all the warnings your English friends and family will probably be giving you, you just need to be sure that you can prove them all wrong! I met my husband six years ago and it hasn't been easy but you do have to follow your heart.We are so happily married that I know it's all been worthwhile but when I look back at all that's happened, I don't know how I made it through! It has probably made us stronger as a couple though and we had a really hard time at the embassy in Tunis getting him here in the first place so it does test your true feelings for a person.

Jane BM

Hi I am in the same situation you were in. I am with a tunisian who was an animateur. He has now quit as an animateur as it is not a couples type of job. I am trying to get him a visiting visa to the UK for a 2 week holiday. I was wondering if you ever got your boyfriend to the UK?
Thanks
Hi Mouse94 and welcome to the forum....have you had a read through the various threads on VV on here? There's lots of advise and opinions on here from members who've gone through this process. You've said that your boyfriend no longer works as an Animator at your request...is he working now? It's very difficult to get a VV to the UK if he has no work in Tunisia as its very important that he can show and prove his 'intent to return' to the Embassy. Does he have savings? Property? Have you been together for long?

Essem

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Mouse94.

Jasmine

Welcome to the forum Mouse :)

Trulymadlydeeply

Jobs in Tunisia are very hard to come by, why did he give it up? How is he surviving if he's not working?