UK or Tunisian Dentist?

feefad

i know ive seen a few threads on dentist before but have a wee question. Which would be cheaper UK NHS dentist or an ok dentist in Tunisia?

sparkle

tunisia
and a better service

Essem

Staff member
Hi was at dentist here (Khezema) yesterday. She charged 30 dinars for visit to clean & polish - no other work was done. Don't know how much she charges for other work.

sparkle

i used to visit a dentist in Khezema, he was excellent. he did lots of work on my teeth and cleaned them all up for me. i was in pain as i had broken a tooth and he was very gentle and he cleaned and polished and he was very cheap compared to UK. He also showed me on his camera the damage smoking was doing to my teeth. he had all the latest equipment and was better than any dentist i had come across in the UK. Think he was in les oranges and he was next to a car rental place, he has a plaque on the building outside so you could find him easy enough

feefad

was just wondering as we havent registered my husband with a dentist and was thinking there may be no point, with no difference in standards I was thinking cost is the next factor for taking into account. But the thought just popped into my head that maybe best just to go here as if he needs one in an emergency it could be costly and a nightmare to get if hes not registered with an nhs one. And if it's a while to his next visit home then it would be a bit of a pain (for him ;))

sparkle

will he be aloud to enrole in a nhs dentist...... if so then yes you have a point as emergencies these days you need to re-morgage the house to pay the dentist :)

feefad

yeah he's entitled to nhs so entitled to nhs dentist, pays NI and all which is part of why you pay it :)

sparkle

i pay NI and im not aloud it :(

honest i went along and they said i hadnt been for so long i had lost my nhs but i was living in tunisia so not much i can do about that. im not bothered anyways as i will be moving to tunisia in a few years and we holiday there so i normally get checked when im over there.
the last time i went to the dentist here he was the one that broke my tooth. i think there useless, he kept drilling and drilling as he said i needed a filling but i dont beleive i ever did i think he drilled me so much that yes i needed a filling now and then the tooth broke and i kept going back and going back and the only time its been ok is after the tunisian dentist looked at it.

ha ha you got me on a roll now, touchy subject i havnt had a good experience with uk dentists grrrrr

sparkle

wow, that is cheap for england.... my step dad has to have lots of extensive work done root c**** and false teeth put in some places and you will never guess that they estimated £8000 - i mean come on thats ridiculous
ha ha sorry im very passionate about it all i just think its really bad that lots of people dont go to get there teeth done here as they cant afford to....
im going to register with another surgery though its worth a try isnt it
thanks nicola.......

sparkle

oh and i know what you mean about the teeth thing...... lots of the men in tunisia drink coffee all day and smoke to much - its also the coffee is so strong it staines the teeth so much

Bigbrother

I've had a filling done at Guys Hospital, by a 3rd year student, cost me nothing, but its not for everyone I know! :)

sparkle

yeah my mum works in guys and she told me about that, they see a certain amount of people per day and you get your teeth done for free by a student.......
:(
id be scared i think ha ha im a baby in the dentist anyway even that dentist smell makes my knees go. my mum had to pin me down when i was younger so embarrasing ha ha

Bigbrother

went I went there they were always busy. I always feel like crying when I'm in the dentist seat ... :)

Trulymadlydeeply

I'd rather give birth than go to the dentist :eek: !!!!!!!! When I was a child I needed a tooth out the dentist put his knee in my chest and plyers on my tooth and wrenched it out!!:mad:
Needless to say I only go when I have to. Good luck anyone needing treatment...

feefad

I hadn't been in almost 10 years but had really bad toothache before i went to tunisia for the 1st time and didn't want to ruin my holiday. My old dentist was taking on nhs again so just went and got it pulled, think they didnt actually charge me for that, got a couple of fillings and a clean after my last check up and was £18 so really cant complain. Now i go regularly before they strike me off again. Hubby also hasnt been to the dentist in years and like alot of tunisian men used to be a smoker so might need some cleaning :)

Delstar

i dunno about using dentists in tunisia, i always worry about infections and the rest,

whats the standard of hygene like?

selz

Ive herd that they r really gud out there & obviously only charge wen u use them, but they dont have chk up's like we do here every 6/12mths....

alex negra

Definately cheaper and quicker in Tunisia,all my family come here for treatment,

feefad

man my hubby is still getting his dental work done, having never really bothered with the dentist until now. final bill will hit almost £200. have to think Tunisia may have been cheaper :)

Cathibou

I'd rather give birth than go to the dentist :eek: !!!!!!!! When I was a child I needed a tooth out the dentist put his knee in my chest and plyers on my tooth and wrenched it out!!:mad:
Needless to say I only go when I have to. Good luck anyone needing treatment...
Hey you must have had the same dentist as me, I hate them with a vengence but put on a brave face when I take the children.