UK to Tunisia : Driving by Car

Waqar

Hello and Sallam to all.

I visit Tunisia most years once or twice a year for the past 7 years. So this year I have a month off so we (the mrs and two kids both under 7) are considering driving to Tunisia from the Midlands. (probably July/August)

Need some major advice on time, costs and crossings.

Cross with Car to France via EuroTunnel thereafter that we are open to suggestions on where to travel from (France/Italy/Spain)- being the main driver how long would it take (realistically- I usually drive 100miles a day for work so am used to long drives)

What Ferry to travel on and from what country? How much should we expect to pay (one way etc)
We will be taking as usual lots of gifts- will this be a problem with the Customs?
Also the wife being Tunisia is thinking about buying a LHD and leaving it there for when we return next time? Is this possible to do? Perhaps leave it for her dad to drive (but not to sell it)

Thanks to everyone?

annh

Hi

we came here by car from Belgium. We used now for the second time CTN, leaving from Genova.
Here is the link to their website: http://www.ctn.com.tn/accueil.php

We chose 2 years ago for them cause it was cheaper and also for us bit easier to get to. Only problem is you have to go through Gotthard tunnel in Switzerland. In winter no problem but in summer you sometimes have to queue for hours there.

from where we live it is about 1100 km driving to Genova. We slept overnight in Como, in the Ibis-hotel. From there it is about 2 h driving to the harbour of Genova. The highway around Milan can be very busy.

Personally I would not drive here if it was only for a month. We left on fridaymorning early in Belgium, were at 17 h in Como. Our boat was at 17 h so were at 12 in harbour.
24 h on boat, so by the time we got in Sousse it was 19.30.

So it took us 3 days to get here - on the end of our holiday it will take again 3 days to get home.

We never had problems with customs but we have also the most empty car on the whole boat :eek: and have never something with us that is not allowed.

The helpers of the douane tried to rip me off but I'm very good in discussing with them...

Think we payed 900 euro both ways - includes a Citroen Berlingo and a cabine for 2 with a window. Hot meal on the boat costed 7 euro I think.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
The helpers of the douane tried to rip me off but I'm very good in discussing with them
I drove from Norwich to Bizerte and had no issues via Marseille on those lovely french roads with their lovely service stations.

I had no issue finding the port and dealing with the very polite french police (I have yet to meet a nasty french person really).

only pain in the bum was the attempted extortion of money and threats of keeping all my stuff if i did not pay, I just dont like this stress of having to negotiate a price each time. It smacks of you wont come again so i get what I can now....which is sort of self fulfilling as I have never taken a car over since.

Scottochott

I think it may be a fun trip, if you take your time, but certainly not the cheapest by the time you count petrol, ferries, accommodation en route, etc. as mentioned above be prepared for some heavy negotiating/bribes with customs too. If your wife has an FCR you can bring over a car, if not any car you bring would have to leave with you, it will be stamped in your passport.

gem15

We have brought over 2 cars and had no problems at all with the customs, we just sailed thru. I think it all depends on the day and the customs officer.

One of these trips we brought 2 dogs with us and they had great time in the french hotels.

We had a lovely drive thru France even had a few extra days and did a side trip to Spain.

Scottochott

Hi Waqar, bear in mind Gem is a foreign resident and so has the right to bring in a car, this is not relevant to your situation. If you don't have an FCR you would be liable to pay a (very high) import tax in order to leave the car there, alternatively you could buy an FCR but current prices are about 5000TD, which may be worthwhile depending on the value of the car you're bringing in. Any imported car also has to be less than 5 years old.

Waqar

Thanks guys for the replies. My wife is Tunisian - I am not- but both hold British passports. We need to have a car there to travel hence wanting to drive over as we will be there all of August. Can we not bring a LHD Car over more than 5 years old not to sell but leave there and catch a flight back home?

Scottochott

Thanks guys for the replies. My wife is Tunisian - I am not- but both hold British passports. We need to have a car there to travel hence wanting to drive over as we will be there all of August. Can we not bring a LHD Car over more than 5 years old not to sell but leave there and catch a flight back home?
No sorry, it will be marked in your passport and you will have to leave with it. You could try a sob story and say there is an emergency back home and you need to fly, but even if you got away with it the car would be impounded by customs and you'd have the same problem next time you came. Your best bet is getting an FCR in your wife's name, I suggest you look into it when you're there this time and maybe you could bring one next time, it would still have to be less than 5 years old though.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
There is a special customs car park in ben arous where i had to put a car once.

It was very expensive if i remember correctly

Waqar

ok back to the original plan then - take car over and take it back does not matter if uk car or lhd- does anyone have any knowledge or experience of putting the car on the Autotrain and getting it delivered to Marseille then taking it over with the Ferry??

Scottochott

ok back to the original plan then - take car over and take it back does not matter if uk car or lhd- does anyone have any knowledge or experience of putting the car on the Autotrain and getting it delivered to Marseille then taking it over with the Ferry??
Surely that defeats the purpose of the fun of the drive? Why not fly over and hire a car when you're there, almost certainly cheaper and less hassle?

Trulymadlydeeply

I suppose depends if you're taking everything but the kitchen sink ;) otherwise as you say STC seems a waste of time.