Visiting Djerba

Kowa

Your english is very good. You can give as much or as little information as you like here, its YOUR choice. We all have the right to our own opinion. You are to the point - nothing wrong with that! :)
Thank you :)

Jane BM

I get a litle angry, cuz i cant see the problems you are seeing.... Not all people talk in the same way, and yes, for me its normal to say it the way i did.
Is it really like i have to pick my words carefully in here?
Just remember, english is not my native language....
And i did answer the first time, was there any point make a discussion again? ....
I think its a case of 'lost in translation'.....Mel has explained it to you pretty well i think.........and whilst some people think it is fine to be curt and quite rude on here, id say that the majority of people would rather tact and manners were used and most of the time people DO try to choose their words carefully when posting......keeps things friendly...

MellieC

I get a litle angry, cuz i cant see the problems you are seeing.... Not all people talk in the same way, and yes, for me its normal to say it the way i did.
Is it really like i have to pick my words carefully in here?
Just remember, english is not my native language....
And i did answer the first time, was there any point make a discussion again? ....
no you dont have to pick your words carefully, thats why i posted what i did, that its a different way of doing/saying things, i posted a similar thing about tunisian men on another thread, because we all need to remember that the majority here are british women, but NOT ALL, and for some, english is not their first language, some use translations to post here, and so it can be easy to misunderstand how something is meant

it was a reminder for everyone, and for british it was an odd thing to make a point of.

Jane BM

Youve lost me Mel???

MellieC

Youve lost me Mel???
do you want me to translate? lol

some languages when translated are "direct".

sometimes there is a thin line between direct and rude.

Jasmine

Is there still a hotel called Dar Jerba? Or has it changed name?

NetNiet

Is there still a hotel called Dar Jerba? Or has it changed name?
Yes it's still there it's a lovely hotel.

I think Djerba is brilliant for holiday, but I didn't like to live there.

Scottochott

Back on thread at last, nice to see, I haven't yet visited Djerba but when I have a week spare it is top of the list.

At the risk of stirring things up again we should be a bit more welcoming to new members. I for one like a bit of straight talking and others should think before posting sarcastic comments, especially to those whose first language is not English.

Welcome Kowa, I hope you have not been put off contributing to our happy community! As with everywhere, here you will find a diverse mix of people, whether you are in Scandinavia, Britain, or North Africa.

Jasmine

Yes it's still there it's a lovely hotel.

I think Djerba is brilliant for holiday, but I didn't like to live there.

Went years ago to Dar Jerba and loved it. :) Wouldnt mind going back to see how things have changed.

NetNiet

Went years ago to Dar Jerba and loved it. :) Wouldnt mind going back to see how things have changed.
I'm not sure if Djerba is changed since you've been there, depends how long ago it was. Because Djerba seems to me a long time not changed, but maybe it's difficult for me to see because also before I went to live here, I went at least 2 times a year to Djerba.

Jasmine

I'm not sure if Djerba is changed since you've been there, depends how long ago it was. Because Djerba seems to me a long time not changed, but maybe it's difficult for me to see because also before I went to live here, I went at least 2 times a year to Djerba.
I went maybe 14 years ago ;) At that point we flew direct to Djerba, my understanding now is that we fly from the UK to Tunisia then get a flight from there to Djerba, unless thats changed now too. It wasnt a big holiday destination when we went, and catered more for German tourists.

Essem

Staff member
Back on thread at last, nice to see, I haven't yet visited Djerba but when I have a week spare it is top of the list.

At the risk of stirring things up again we should be a bit more welcoming to new members. I for one like a bit of straight talking and others should think before posting sarcastic comments, especially to those whose first language is not English.

Welcome Kowa, I hope you have not been put off contributing to our happy community! As with everywhere, here you will find a diverse mix of people, whether you are in Scandinavia, Britain, or North Africa.

Thanks Scottochott, was thinking exactly the same - unfortunately that's two newbies that we haven't seen back now. Sabotage!

Scoobydoo

Stayed in Club Magic Life penelope in Djerba a couple of times....really really good hotel.
Djerba itself was disappointing, i thought it was going to be a beautiful island...but it wasnt...
Also, the market was also not great...the fuit and veg section was fab...obviously staying in an AI hotel was useless to me!
We did fly directly from Gatwick though, i think it was about 3 hours ish....not much more than going to Monastir or tunis.

NetNiet

As you all know my first language is also not English, but if I don't understand something, than I use my translator, when my translator tells me nothing or something I think that isn't right, than I ask.
And offcourse it's possible that I think I understand something, but actually don't.
And it happends aswell that I say something but because of my English, I don't write it very well and offend people by accident.
(LOL and when I want to be sarcastic, than I can do that in English aswell :D)

What I try to say, as you come as a foreigner at a website in a language which is not your first, than you're aware of that and you have to deal with it.
But my experience is that most are very helpfull, when I ask something when I don't understand it, I get a lot of help.
Even when I think I did write it right, but someone else understand it differently, people are helping to explain because they know what I did want to say!

So that said......:) welcome Kowa to this website!
Stick around a while and get to know eachother, it's a great website and they deal already a long time with me as a foreigner! :D

NetNiet

I went maybe 14 years ago ;) At that point we flew direct to Djerba, my understanding now is that we fly from the UK to Tunisia then get a flight from there to Djerba, unless thats changed now too. It wasnt a big holiday destination when we went, and catered more for German tourists.
LOL Jasmine, than I think it has been changed!
Yes that is right before there were more German tourist, but after the accident, they disappeared.
Now there are more French and Belgium people.

Kowa

Thank you. I will try to write a bit different next time... :)

Kowa

Thanks Scottochott, was thinking exactly the same - unfortunately that's two newbies that we haven't seen back now. Sabotage!
Im still here, i will just try to read more than write, at least now in the beginning ;-)

C

Cas

Carry on writing Kowa even us that have English as our first language sometimes misunderstand true meanings lol. We sort it somehow, so please when you feel like writing we are always pleased to read. None of us at this moment are face to face as in real life so always a small chance of being misunderstood lol:oops:;):)Anyway I like your name !!!

ROULLA

Djerba-Zarzis Airport: Passengers traffic up by 10.9%
MEDENINE ( - The passengers traffic at the Djerba-Zarzis International Airport was up by 10.9% in the first eight months of 2012, compared with the same period in 2011.

It appears from a report by the airport's management, that this upward trend is due to the rise by 30.2% in the number of arrivals, despite the 4% drop recorded in the number of departing passengers.
The French nationals hold the lion's share in the total number of passengers.
The national carrier company Tunisair is the most active company out of 66 others operating in the airport.

Essem

Staff member
djerba.jpg

Djerba