War sites and graves

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
There are a number of grave sites in Tunisia and as you know there was a number of battles fought there.

Here are a few bits of information that I could find

Regards,

Kris

Graves of famous soldiers

Joachim Müncheberg German fighter ace (135 kills) Bordj-Cedria,

Wolfgang Tonne German fighter ace (122 kills) Bordj-Cedria,

Graves and special locations

The Maple Leaf Legacy Project

American Battle Monuments Commission

cemeteries

http://www.remembrancetravel.com/ind...our.view&id=78

Also if you are in Bizerte a visit to the Memorial to the heros of Bizerte is worth seeing it is up on the hill not too far from the football stadium.

Please post any battle sites in this thread as I know a lot of folks like to visit such plces.

Regards,

Kris

pej

I visited a British war cemetary in Bizerte in May. So many young boys, in their early twenties or less! I was 35 then and in the whole of the cemetary there was only one person older than that when he died. If anyone reading this happens to have a relative buried there, I can only encourage you to visit. it is very well kept and the caretaker keeps a book that you can sign and you can also have a look at who else has been there, other family members might have been there earlier.

ninikins

I bet it's great to hear for people who have a relative buried there that the site is well kept.

Grace 111

Beautiful Memorial Cemetaries

These are such proud and well kept cemeteries. It has such beautiful green grass, and it is full of colorful flowers. It means so much for those who are buried and remembered there.

ninikins

Uhnfortunately this cannot be said about every cemetary that I have seen in many countries.

tater03

You're right that this cannot be said for all cementaries and that is quite sad when you think about it. I cannot imagine what it must be like to visit one where everyone was 35 years or younger. That is such a loss to any family to lose so many at such a young age.

ammulu

I feel it to be hard to visit such a place with so much of grief and so many hard memories. It really hurts and the loss that the family had is really heart touching.

doofus

I visited a British war cemetary in Bizerte in May. So many young boys, in their early twenties or less! I was 35 then and in the whole of the cemetary there was only one person older than that when he died. If anyone reading this happens to have a relative buried there, I can only encourage you to visit. it is very well kept and the caretaker keeps a book that you can sign and you can also have a look at who else has been there, other family members might have been there earlier.
I would like to visit this cemetary. Where is Bizerte in relationship to Sousse?

crazypink

I would like to visit this cemetary. Where is Bizerte in relationship to Sousse?
Bout 3 hrs by car.

x x x x x x x x x xx x x

annh

There is also a cemetry in Enfidha. Is maybe a bit easier to get to from Sousse, about an hour in a car.

C

Cas

I think one of the organized trips covers one or more of these cemeteries, best look for this on this holiday. There is a very well kept one on road from Algerian border to Tunis, we visited on way back from Dougga years ago.

doofus

Thanks Annh for that. Will try and suss that out if I can. I don't suppose a train or louage goes there?

MellieC

I have been to the Enfidha cemetary, its a quite serence place, or it was before the airport?

im hoping to go to Arras here in france next week, anniversay of my great grand fathers death in WW1

when my friend came out to stay in tunisia with us last year, her interest was that he dad was there in WW2, i have seen the pics, on the back he had just written things like "tunis" "tripoli" so he was all over the area and safely returned to the UK.

Kris check out the CWGC website, they have info and pics on the war graves and cemetaries and a searchable database to find out where your family members are buried

C

Cas

Thanks Annh for that. Will try and suss that out if I can. I don't suppose a train or louage goes there?
n
No if you ment me, only way would be to hire a car and driver a guy sits outside Marhaba hotels opposite Slim Centre with a silver people carrier most days. Bit cheaper than organized trip. You could try and get a louage to Zarguan then onwards take two or three steps avoiding Tunis. Personally this trip I would only do as an organized one until things are more settled.