what do Tunisians eat for breakfast?

[email protected]

:rolleyes:i was wondering what Tunisians eat for breakfast at home?we usually eat bread with butter and honey with milk or coffee depend on taste,some eat eggs boiled ,others like me eat nothing :D
so which is your favourite breakfast?:)

Sana

Hi lara

it differs from family to another , some tunisians have a coffee and bread with butter , some eat bread and eggs , others like toasts :)

[email protected]

thanks.i saw my friend from the camera eating olives bread and sometime couscous but this was last year during ramadan.tunisian belle also told me some very nice things she prepares for breakfast for her family.i was wondering if there is something special.

MellieC

TOURISTS!

Mel!

[email protected]

nice!!!!!!!!!!!
at least i guess this breakfast sometimes is good for tourists too.;-)
xxx

Tunisianbelle

Tunisians have a wide variety of things for breakfast. Here are a few:

• Bssissa
  • Dates (plain, or with butter, or with butter and almonds)
  • Fruit
  • Cereal
  • Droul
  • Chamia
  • Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Croissants
  • Small cakes from the Patisserie
  • Pate
  • Bread (with oil, or with butter, or with jam, or with cheese)
  • Yogurt

And they drink different things too:
  • Coffee (any of the many varieties - cappucin, cappuccino, cafe creme, etc)
  • Milk
  • Tea (green, red, etc)
  • Water
  • Drinkable yogurt

Tunisianbelle

tunisian belle also told me some very nice things she prepares for breakfast for her family.
Once a week I prepare a nice big American style breakfast - scrambled eggs, pancakes (my husband LOVES pancakes! - but not Tunisian pancakes, only American pancakes LOL), and hash browns. YUMMY!! :)

Trulymadlydeeply

When I stay at my Ex home, my MIL always makes me fresh coffee with a jug of hot milk, all different pastries/croissants and yoghurt. My son has baguette with chocolate spread!!!!! :)

Soltef

TOURISTS!

Mel!
What, especially the female ones that go after (married) waiters for a cheap fling?Ouch!Stop, you're putting me off my (late) breakfast,lol!You're not the only one aching with laughter!

Tunisianbelle

what is droul and chamia????
Chamia is a sweet mixture of tahina and sugar. There are several varieties of chamia: normal, with the dry fruits (almonds - pistachios), with almonds, with chocolate, etc. Here is a picture:

Droul is like a porridge - kinda. It is a powder that you cook with milk and/or water (I use a little of both), and sugar. You cook it on the stove over low heat constantly stirring it. It starts of really liquidy, and after the mixture boils for about a minute or two it thickens up.

BRISASSS

I can eat everything you guys said here!!!! i love eating and all sound yummy yummy for me, but tourist s!!!!!!

Black Mamba

Chamia is a sweet mixture of tahina and sugar. There are several varieties of chamia: normal, with the dry fruits (almonds - pistachios), with almonds, with chocolate, etc. Here is a picture:

Droul is like a porridge - kinda. It is a powder that you cook with milk and/or water (I use a little of both), and sugar. You cook it on the stove over low heat constantly stirring it. It starts of really liquidy, and after the mixture boils for about a minute or two it thickens up.
Also called:
Sorghum or in French Sorgho

I usually have Coffee+milk+bread+butter for my breakfast.

Cathibou

Personally I find this very dry to eat alone although my daughter likes it this way and my husband aways adds this to the porridge below often called halwa chamia

This is definately an accquired taste, something I have yet to achieve. It is green and to me reminds me of gruel, but it is very popular in the town my husband is from.

Soltef

Drouling already..

Oh Tunisianbelle!I LOVE chamia,how do you know?And his mum's Droul,like her cooking, is to die for!I'm drooling already..

BRISASSS

Tourist mamba???? maybe i will try next time i'm in Tunisia, i will ask to the waiter for this special dish !!!!! i'm sure he will be happy of getting rid of few tourists !!!!! xxx