what do Tunisians eat for breakfast?

C

Cas

Good job I`m not there or we`d be having Bloody Mary`s to go with it...;)

crazypink

Couldnt eat that in a morning if my life depended on it :eek:

Give me basissa any day of the week ;)

gem15

Couldnt eat that in a morning if my life depended on it :eek:

Give me basissa any day of the week ;)
I was thinking the same. Sounds nice but not for breakfast surely. :confused:

crazypink

I was thinking the same. Sounds nice but not for breakfast surely. :confused:
Could eat it for lunch with some crusty bread - but not for breakfast lol. Dont have that strong a stomach!!

ROULLA

Give me a nice latte with a croissant any day, but I must admit I also like toast now and again and it has to be cut up into soldiers:Dwith plenty of butter.

lainie

tunisia - fried eggs from our tunisian chickens and fresh baguette
uk - porridge on weekdays and a cripsy bacon sarnie at the weekend

marhaba

ahh melfay like a custard slice and grandorr lol

gabriel612

TUNISIAN BREAKFAST SOUP WITH GREENS
Serves 4
A hearty, head-spinning, soupy stew based on Tunisian leblebi. I make it with silverbeet because I love this green, but you can use kale, cavolo nero, English spinach or a mixture. Serve on toast, topped with hard-boiled egg wedges, or a fried or poached egg.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 red capsicum, finely diced
800g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
400g canned tomatoes, chopped
750ml chicken or vegetable stock
Sea salt and pepper
500g silverbeet leaves, washed
2 tbsp harissa paste
4 thick slices sourdough bread
2 hard-boiled eggs, each cut into 6 wedges
1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
Extra virgin olive oil for serving
2 tbsp coriander leaves

Heat oil in a large pan and cook onion for five minutes until softened. Add garlic, cumin and most of the diced red capsicum and cook for three minutes. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.

Roughly chop silverbeet leaves and simmer for five minutes until wilted. Add one tablespoon harissa, stirring.

Toast or grill the bread and place in the base of each bowl. Add a ladleful of chickpeas, silverbeet and enough broth to thoroughly soak the toast.

View attachment 4005 Top with egg wedges, capers, remaining harissa and red capsicum. Finish with extra pepper, olive oil and coriander leaves and serve.

What is silverbeet leaves?? can I get it in UK?? Sounds delicious, can't wait to try it out, thanks:)

gabriel612

tunisia - fried eggs from our tunisian chickens and fresh baguette
uk - porridge on weekdays and a cripsy bacon sarnie at the weekend

Does hubby eat the crispy bacom sarnie too??? I am not a lover of pork, as in chops or joints, but I love bacon, and chinese ribs, but don't think I will be eating it in 2 weeks time eeeeeeek:) He's asking what spices I need him to bring here. I said that just to bring the coriander and Carvi. I can buy coriander powder but what exactly is Carvi??? is it Caraway??? as the only caraway I can find here is in seeds. can get harissa in tins, but I have machine to make own and that tastes better. There are numerous Asian supermarkets here and one of them sells everything you can buy in Tunisia including Halal meats.

Hubby asked how our chickens are killed, are they killed the same way as in Tunisia??? upside down and throat cut, sorry to be so blunt:( I never really think about what happens to the meat I am eating, but this has made me think lots, I could become veggie if I have to keep thinking about that. Or just eat fish.

Oh and when I was there in March we went to the Medina and there were lots of snails( is it called (baboush) crawling round on the barrows, hubby got some as he wanted me to try them, I have had snails in an Italian restaurant before but they were big and the meat was loose in the shell.

I begged him not to ask me to eat them, he bought a can full and his mum and sister cooked them, I thought I would die when she gave me a bowl full with couscous, hubby got me a needle to dig them out:eek: they were absolutely delicious yum yum,

Trulymadlydeeply

Glad you enjoyed the snails, I have just read that before my brekkie and it made me chunder :eek:

lainie

Does hubby eat the crispy bacom sarnie too??? I am not a lover of pork, as in chops or joints, but I love bacon, and chinese ribs, but don't think I will be eating it in 2 weeks time eeeeeeek:)
im the same - not a great consumer of pork products but i love my weekend bacon sarnie.
himself doesnt partake but istn bothered by me eating it either.
there's no way i would give it up and he wouldn't expect me too.

Essem

Staff member
fresh milk for sale.JPGbutter.JPGmbassis.JPG

Many drink fresh milk, fresh butter made from the fresh mill and mbassis

Essem

Staff member
And of course,

brekkie.jpg