What inspired you to live in Tunisia/ Are you happy/ Would you leave and why

Mr Brian Smith

I thought it might be nice to have a post so members can tell why they choose Tunisia and what the country means to them.

Like i wrote in a earlier post,

I came to tunisia because i had a lot of home movies (cine film) from my grandad who went there a few times and was always telling me about the place and how he longed to be there. In 1998 found a diary of his and he said he would love to have his ashes spread in the sea at hammermet. So we brought him to where he wanted to be. While there i fell in love with the place, and yern to be there all the time. We love the food the sense of stepping back in time and most of the people. I know the people in the tourist areas they can be overwhelming but while walking around the back roads we have met some wonderful people which we stay in touch with. Our aim is to retire to Tunisia and in the mean time go on holiday there as much as possible. I can't put my feelings about the place into good words but all i know is that when i'm there i feel like i have finally come home.

So anyway that's mine so what about you lot

mrsmannai

love.....

Essem

Staff member
I always wanted to live by the sea, have a place on the beach in sunnier and hotter climes. When I found Tunisia, it ticked all of the boxes (at the time:rolleyes:). It had a great climate, safe, was cheap to live, short flight and also availability of cheap, direct flights from the UK.

Before I invested in property, I rented for 3 years to see if I liked living there and to understand the mentality of the people, as holidaying and living there are two entirely different scenarios.

It hasn't been without it's sagas and dramas (they'll all be in the book ;)).

Last edited:

Scottochott

I have to echo Essem's reasoning, a place on the beach in the sun, easily reached from a Scottish airport. I love the fact it feels "foreign", compared to Europe where every country is similar, and where else could you have a place on the med for the money we paid? There is still a chance to live a very simple life, with local shops and fresh seasonal produce, yet also the choice of fun and sophistication when you want it. But yes it is not always easy and there is invariably a saga attached to the simplest things!

Mr Brian Smith

What book is that then come on give some info on it.

Jane BM

My story a little different, I literally just wanted a last minute holiday which wasn't a long haul flight, where the sun shone and with a different cultural vibe.

Then I met and married my husband....lol....the rest, as they say, is history.

I love the country, I love the culture, I generally love the people. We try to go over a couple times a year to see friends and my husbands family.

Wouldn't change any of it....well most of the time!

Essem

Staff member

Mr Brian Smith

Whats it about, when can we see it give info

Aslemma

Like Jane except for the bit about meeting a husband. It was a last minute holiday somewhere warm with convenient flights. This was actually 14 years ago and just for a week, but since then I've usually been over a couple of times a year and it feels like my second home. I always feel safe walking around and since picking up a little of the lingo I don't get too much hassle, in fact I'm treated as an honorary Tunisian by many of the locals.

I very much doubt that Essem will have time to write her book for a while, but when she does I'm hoping she will appoint me as her agent as it's bound to be a best seller. She knows where many of the bodies are buried. ;)

Mr Brian Smith

bodies i'm getting more interested.

Jillimom

My story is even more different: I never even knew where Tunisia was (blame my American geography teacher, not me! :wacky:) before I met my friend in California who was married to a Tunisian man. Through them I learned about the place, the food, music etc. Then I met my husband who came to visit CA (he is the cousin of my friend's husband) and we were married within three months. We lived in California for 7 years before deciding, for various reasons, to move here to Tunis. It has definitely been an adjustment but I love living here. There are certainly things I wish would get better here (GARBAGE!) but other than that I appreciate the simple lifestyle we live here. ;)

Mezoo

VIP Member
work brought me there and I married tunisia, met my wife there too.... they'll bury me there. :happy:

ROULLA

Well you ask why Tunisia, I think that for many it used to be buying property much cheaper than here but then again that was years ago, or am I wrong ?

K

Kati3366

In 2007 I seached cheap holiday for me and my son after a long period in hospital. With sun and sea.
So I came to Tunisia the first time and by leaving the aircraft I got the "Virus". :).
I love the country, the people and a few years ( and 10 trips to Tunisia ) later also my husband.

Jane BM

In 2007 I seached cheap holiday for me and my son after a long period in hospital. With sun and sea.
So I came to Tunisia the first time and by leaving the aircraft I got the "Virus". :).
I love the country, the people and a few years ( and 10 trips to Tunisia ) later also my husband.
Do you go back often Kati to visit?

K

Kati3366

Since my husband in Germany only one time every year for 4 weeks because of his work. But one day we'll stay there. If my son old enough to take bis own way.

ROULLA

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I met my wife in the UK

Its totally different with a different mindset. In some ways its nice and relaxing but in others its slow pedantic and irritating.

Cannot argue with the raw material sun, sea, forests, desert, mountains and people just the execution this really could be one of the best places to live in the world.

After living in Tunisia to me it seems still that the best way to enjoy Tunisia is to work here and spend there.

ROULLA

Hi Everyone, hope that you are all well!
I thought that it would be really nice to hear a few stories about what made you go and live in Tunisia in the first place.
Have things worked out the way that you expected they would, are you happy living there, is life better there than where you originally came from , What would you advice people on moving to Tunisia ?
upload_2014-6-15_20-51-51.jpeg

Jillimom

I get to be the first to reply? Woo-hoo...:)

We (Tunisian husband, American me and three kids) have lived in the capital for nearly 8 years now. We moved here for two main reasons: 1) religious reasons (in no way is Tunisian a perfect Muslim country but none are and it was better, in our opinion, to raise our children here) and 2) escape the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is so expensive and we were barely making it there, even living in my Mom's house!

I would say 90% of the time we are happy here. Any time we have to deal wiht the bureaucracy, we remember all the great things about living in the USA. :rolleyes:LOL. That and the "al la ghalb" attitude here are the most frustrating to us. But overall, we both think we made the right decision to move here. The kids are getting what I consider a good education (they go to public school), learning three languages and growing up in a Muslim environment. We are living at a level that is good for us (although pretty frugal for most other Americans, I think.) We have the in-laws very close by and that is important to hubby too.

Advice to those moving here? Know what you are getting into! Know the culture and understand that your life will NOT be the same as it was in whatever country you came from. People will not cater to you as a foreigner and, if you choose to move here, you have to understand that. Things are hard to deal with here a lot of the time and I am constantly reminded that we are really a third world country here in so many ways.

I hope for the future that Tunis gets better - the economy, the attitudes of the people and just life in general. It makes me thankful every day for all that we have when I have seen how incredibly poor some people are here.