What inspired you to live in Tunisia/ Are you happy/ Would you leave and why

Jillimom

Anyone else going to share their story? :)

Trulymadlydeeply

Thanks for sharing yours jillimom an honest account from you x

rabah

I get to be the first to reply? Woo-hoo...:)

We (Tunisian husband, American me and three kids) have lived in the capital for nearly 8 years now. We moved here for two main reasons: 1) religious reasons (in no way is Tunisian a perfect Muslim country but none are and it was better, in our opinion, to raise our children here) and 2) escape the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is so expensive and we were barely making it there, even living in my Mom's house!

I would say 90% of the time we are happy here. Any time we have to deal wiht the bureaucracy, we remember all the great things about living in the USA. :rolleyes:LOL. That and the "al la ghalb" attitude here are the most frustrating to us. But overall, we both think we made the right decision to move here. The kids are getting what I consider a good education (they go to public school), learning three languages and growing up in a Muslim environment. We are living at a level that is good for us (although pretty frugal for most other Americans, I think.) We have the in-laws very close by and that is important to hubby too.

Advice to those moving here? Know what you are getting into! Know the culture and understand that your life will NOT be the same as it was in whatever country you came from. People will not cater to you as a foreigner and, if you choose to move here, you have to understand that. Things are hard to deal with here a lot of the time and I am constantly reminded that we are really a third world country here in so many ways.

I hope for the future that Tunis gets better - the economy, the attitudes of the people and just life in general. It makes me thankful every day for all that we have when I have seen how incredibly poor some people are here.
Very interesting and thank you for sharing. I would however like to ask if you worry about your kids ' future given the unemployment issue and the instability in Tunisia. I know you're hopeful things will improve which is optimistic but as a parent, how worried are you about your kids?

Jillimom

Yes, I do worry about that. They have the bonus of being US citizens so, if if comes to that, they can move back to find employment there, insh'allah. They may even end up attending college in the US - who knows? I too hope Tunisia finds greater stability and the future improves. I feel like wherever they end up, they have at least had the opportunity to grow up here, be immersed in the culture and learn French and Arabic. Insh'allah le bess for their future. ;)

YouOnlyLive Once!

I totally agree Jillimom, whenever we get around to having children insh'allah, i would love them to spend some time growing up in Tunisia, I think there is a lot there, especially for young children that we don't have anymore. It is hard to predict everything into the future but living one day as only you can, I would definitely have their younger years in Tunisia. I think it is something that would only benefit in future years.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I moved to Tunisia as I had just sold a business and waned to have a change for a fe years and see how it went whilst we had only my eldest under school age.

Its was lovely as I did not need money in Tunisia to live....if i did it would have been hard as its not easy to make money in Tunisia when you need a few thousand dinars a month.

I left because by the end I had 3 children and I had to either stay or come back and the rumblings of the revolution where behind the scenes,

To be honest I would have had to move to Tunis and put the kids in the international school there which would have made my bills the same as here in the UK without all the hassles of Tunisia.

If my wife can stand me until we are retired we will have another think about it as its ideal for that as long as you have the money.

ROULLA

I moved to Tunisia as I had just sold a business and waned to have a change for a fe years and see how it went whilst we had only my eldest under school age.

Its was lovely as I did not need money in Tunisia to live....if i did it would have been hard as its not easy to make money in Tunisia when you need a few thousand dinars a month.

I left because by the end I had 3 children and I had to either stay or come back and the rumblings of the revolution where behind the scenes,

To be honest I would have had to move to Tunis and put the kids in the international school there which would have made my bills the same as here in the UK without all the hassles of Tunisia.

If my wife can stand me until we are retired we will have another think about it as its ideal for that as long as you have the money.

Moonsky

I thought it might be nice to have a post so members can tell why they choose Tunisia and what the country means to them.

Like i wrote in a earlier post,

I came to tunisia because i had a lot of home movies (cine film) from my grandad who went there a few times and was always telling me about the place and how he longed to be there. In 1998 found a diary of his and he said he would love to have his ashes spread in the sea at hammermet. So we brought him to where he wanted to be. While there i fell in love with the place, and yern to be there all the time. We love the food the sense of stepping back in time and most of the people. I know the people in the tourist areas they can be overwhelming but while walking around the back roads we have met some wonderful people which we stay in touch with. Our aim is to retire to Tunisia and in the mean time go on holiday there as much as possible. I can't put my feelings about the place into good words but all i know is that when i'm there i feel like i have finally come home.

So anyway that's mine so what about you lot
PS.... yes, even though I've set up a comfortable home if I won the lottery and could leave I'd go in a heart beat.....

ROULLA

PS.... yes, even though I've set up a comfortable home if I won the lottery and could leave I'd go in a heart beat.....
Can I get to keep your pad ;):D:eek:

Jasmine

@gem15 When did you go and why do you like it compared to the UK?

gem15

@gem15 When did you go and why do you like it compared to the UK?
Moved here 9 yrs ago now. I like the laid back life and the fact I can be a stay at home mum. On the times ive visited the UK I can't stand the constant rush people are in. The cost of living has gone up here but the fact we own our own house outright means we will always have a roof over our head.

If we were to ever leave Tunisia it probably won't be to the UK, it's too miserable lol.

Jasmine

Moved here 9 yrs ago now. I like the laid back life and the fact I can be a stay at home mum. On the times ive visited the UK I can't stand the constant rush people are in. The cost of living has gone up here but the fact we own our own house outright means we will always have a roof over our head.

If we were to ever leave Tunisia it probably won't be to the UK, it's too miserable lol.
The weather or the people? :D:D

Jillimom

I agree with gem. I am from California originally and, if we were ever to move out of Tunis, it would not be back there. The cost of living is absolutely insane there not to mention the stress of having to make nearly $5000 a month just to live. No, thank you! We are happy to stay put here for the long haul. ;)

ROULLA

This thread was created a few years ago. I'm more than sure that as time has passed people may have a different opinion, has your opinion changed? Why?

Trulymadlydeeply

I have been coming to Tunisia admittedly only for short periods every year since 1995. I have to say YES I feel completely safe. But on the whole where I've seen looks like a run down building site. More rubbish than ever strewn around. It's being cleared from where hotels are but nowhere else. It's heartbreaking to see so many businesses closed and half built apartments. With money you can have nice things and go to nice places as with anywhere. But I'm sure for the average Tunisian they are not so happy...

ROULLA

I have been coming to Tunisia admittedly only for short periods every year since 1995. I have to say YES I feel completely safe. But on the whole where I've seen looks like a run down building site. More rubbish than ever strewn around. It's being cleared from where hotels are but nowhere else. It's heartbreaking to see so many businesses closed and half built apartments. With money you can have nice things and go to nice places as with anywhere. But I'm sure for the average Tunisian they are not so happy...
Hi Truly mou , I hope that you're having a relaxing time. I think it's such a shame about the rubbish, it's always been there. However, I have to say that places like Sidi bou said are kept very clean. The smell of the bins in the summer are intoxicating and my nostrils are like radials. People need to be educated about how they dispose their rubbish here and there. As for the dilapidated house's that's such a shame but it's obvious that people just don't have the capital to fix them.
Bring some sun pleaseeeeee X X X

Aslemma

I too have been visiting Tunisia for many years and in some ways things seem to have got worse since the revolution. I too have always felt completely safe there, though you obviously have to keep an eye on your possessions as you do anywhere. The main difference now seems that people expected so much more after the revolution, most of which it was clearly not possible to achieve immediately, but so many years later they are losing hope.

ROULLA

Does Everyone still have the same opinion about Tunisia now as they did before ?