what is it like to be married to a tunisian man

Annna M

Hiya could someone tell me what it is like to be married to a Tunisian man. I have a Tunisian boyfriend and we are planning to marry what do I need in order to do the. Thank you

Jane BM

I'm not sure what you're asking Anna, because it could be 2 totally different answers.

Whether you want people's stories of what it's actually like living with a Tunisian day in day out...or what legal requirements there are so you can marry your Tunisian boyfriend, if it's the latter, there's quite a few threads on here so have a read and then if you've questions come back and ask.

Annna M

I am asking both of them questions lol :)

Jane BM

There's many threads on here re the legalities. You'll need your CONI, which then is translated at the British Embassy in Tunis, an up to date BC no older than 21 days when you marry, translated and any divorce papers again translated. Your boyfriend should know the requirements his end.

As for being married to one, well I am...lol....guess it all depends on the relationship really, how much time you've already spent together, in my opinion as well it also depends just how 'fervent' his faith is!! Will you be going to live there with him? Or are you planning on gong down the visa route and bringing him to the UK (are you from the UK?)...lots and lots of variants. However, no picnic whichever......lol....if you don't already realise they DO have a completely different mindset!

Annna M

Yes I am from the UK lol do I need to be in Tunisia for at least 21 days for I sign contract? If so does this have to be all at once ot can it be on seperate occassions..Everything I read is from years ago and I don't know if its changed. Ahh there's so much involved lol thanks for the help

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone is different and just like a man from round the corner you have all the same benefits but more issues.

What you do have are massive cultural differences and expense which mostly click in once your married and the lust wears off and have kids etc.

Now if your Tunisian partner is educated and successful and comes to the UK all the time on business or has a skill which will allow him to come and pay his way (most women expect this of UK guys also). Your going to have less issues as this is basically a regular international relationship etc etc. A marriage of equals so to speak.

Now if your boyfriend is an animator in a hotel with no qualifications you have to ask why? Why does he want to marry you? Why does he want to go to the UK if he does not have a english degree or trade to get there? also what makes you want to marry a poor guy from Tunisia when you can meet a poor Mediterranean guy in any city in the UK?

Is there much of an age difference? Have you been married with kids etc before?

DARK ANGEL

Well said Kris and Jane , how you can make a clear idea about your bf if you didn't spent a long time together ,direct contact not through internet , i agree with Kris is his reply , all depend from where he comes , i mean his life in Tunisia , is he is an animator or an educated man , he want to be with you reason of love or visa , marriage is a big step .

Jane BM

Yes I am from the UK lol do I need to be in Tunisia for at least 21 days for I sign contract? If so does this have to be all at once ot can it be on seperate occassions..Everything I read is from years ago and I don't know if its changed. Ahh there's so much involved lol thanks for the help
No you don't have to be in the country for 21 days, when you apply for your CONI here in the UK it then takes 21 days for it to be issued.

Trulymadlydeeply

Agree whole heartedly Kris, I don't see anyone rushing to marry the blue coats down at Butlins ;)

missmetal

Well said Kris and Jane , how you can make a clear idea about your bf if you didn't spent a long time together ,direct contact not through internet , i agree with Kris is his reply , all depend from where he comes , i mean his life in Tunisia , is he is an animator or an educated man , he want to be with you reason of love or visa , marriage is a big step .
Wow, good to see you're back! :)

missmetal

I'm not sure what you're asking Anna, because it could be 2 totally different answers.

Whether you want people's stories of what it's actually like living with a Tunisian day in day out...or what legal requirements there are so you can marry your Tunisian boyfriend, if it's the latter, there's quite a few threads on here so have a read and then if you've questions come back and ask.
In one word, and this is probably for any cross culture marriage

Challenging

Good or bad, its a challenge.

Jillimom

^^That is exactly what I was going to say miss metal! It is w-o-r-k!

Annna - Please consider all the cultural and religious (practicing or not they are still there...) differences before entering into your maraige. Make sure you discuss children and how they will be raised. Make sure you discuss his conceptions of what having you as his wife and not just his girlfriend will mean as well. Lots to consider....

scorpio

If u have children to a previous marriage this could pose major problems as Tunisian men have a different mindset as to how they should behave regarding what they wear and when they go out, it's not a bad thing if thd kids are still young but mine were teenagers so they already had a routine but it made life very difficult in our house.

MM4AS

every marriage is different, and has to be worked at, whatever nationality. but cross culture marriages will always have those issues as well. the trouble with generalization is that there will always be exceptions. in general I agree with kris, I wouldn't trust an animator , but there are some who are honest in relationships. I think the comment about education and finances are maybe a bit unfair . my hubby had to leave school very young as his father was dying, and he had to start taking over some of the work, and in some ways became a surrogate dad to his younger siblings. he is seen as head of the family now. without a good education it's almost impossible to get a good job in Tunisia. I think the fact that he is hardworking honest and intelligent are more important than his lack of education.

Trulymadlydeeply

What he does have MM4AS are values of family life and morals. 2 great qualities in anyone. Animators generally leave home very young are not usually educated to a high standard and then pimp themselves until they get the catch that gets them to Europe or further afield...yes I'm generalising but it's 90% the case for most!!!

Aslemma

I'd just like to say that not all animators are bad marriage material. A couple I know met when he was an animator in Egypt and she was on holiday there with her parents. To cut a long story short, once they realised they were serious about one another he gave up his job as he didn't think it was suitable for someone in his circumstances. He went back to Tunisia and set up a business, they got married there some years ago and are now living very happily in the UK with their two beautiful young boys. He has moved his business over here so neither of them are dependent on the UK benefit system.

AdelTunisia

welcome
i can guide you if you want dear :)

missmetal

welcome

i can guide you if you want dear :)
Do tell dear. She already has a boyfriend so tell us what it's like to be with a Tunisian man?

lynn

the truth is being married to a tune is damned hard work...