What's next...

lloydy7179

Ok, so many of us and our partners are currently applying or have been successful with a settlement visa, but what's next:

Settlement visa - 2 years 3 months
ILR - To be able to stay in UK forever without a need for a visa
British Passport - At what point can your hubby apply for a British passport, is there a step before this?

:)

Scoobydoo

Once he has had his ILR for a year, he can then apply for citizenship (as he will have resided in the uk then for 3 years). Once this has been granted he can then apply for a passport.x

MellieC

as the immi regs are likely to change BEFORE he is elegible to apply for his ILR, i wouldn't worry too much about what is next lol, there WILL be plenty of time to think about it, in 2015 lol

olliebaby

Hiya Mel, I know nothing is set in stone yet but do you think its likely that, when the changes come into place, anybody already in the UK stays on their current visa (i.e 2 yrs for settlement") and any new applications that are accepted would go on the new rules (i.e 5 yrs settlement).

Or do you think everyone would have to switch over even if they came before the new rules come in?

Hope that makes sense lol

lloydy7179

Thanks all, so basically its settlement visa, then ILR, then citizenship, then apply for british passport :)

Good question Olliebaby :)

nikky2409

Thanks all, so basically its settlement visa, then ILR, then citizenship, then apply for british passport :)

Good question Olliebaby :)

Hi Hun

How are you long time no speak! You back online now? xxx

lloydy7179

Yeah im back, had a little sneak at things last week and couldn't resist posting lol

Life is going really well, Mohamed is working full time and is enjoying his time here. We're back in Tunisia to see his family at the end of the month which we both can't wait for :)

xxxx

lloydy7179

Any news on the updated rules yet?

Jasmine

as the immi regs are likely to change BEFORE he is elegible to apply for his ILR, i wouldn't worry too much about what is next lol, there WILL be plenty of time to think about it, in 2015 lol
Mel..

Any news as to when the new rules come into play?

If someone was to be here on the settlement that gives them their 2yrs, and the rule comes out BEFORE their application for ILR - is it likely the ones who are only on the settlement visa would need to apply for an extension of their initial visa to 5yrs or would they bypass the new rule, and be able to apply for ILR under old rules?

As when people put in applications for settlement BEFORE the English Test rule came out, they were able to continue processing without it being a requirement. Just wondering if its the same for ILR?

crazypink

Mel..

Any news as to when the new rules come into play?

If someone was to be here on the settlement that gives them their 2yrs, and the rule comes out BEFORE their application for ILR - is it likely the ones who are only on the settlement visa would need to apply for an extension of their initial visa to 5yrs or would they bypass the new rule, and be able to apply for ILR under old rules?

As when people put in applications for settlement BEFORE the English Test rule came out, they were able to continue processing without it being a requirement. Just wondering if its the same for ILR?
Think Mel said it would probably be a date that it would start and everybody would be included. Even if your hubby is here or your waiting for a decision - everybody would come under the new regs.

Jasmine

Think Mel said it would probably be a date that it would start and everybody would be included. Even if your hubby is here or your waiting for a decision - everybody would come under the new regs.
So the ones with say 6 months left before they COULD have applied ILR would need to apply for an Extension to reach the 5yrs under the new regulations?

Jane BM

So the ones with say 6 months left before they COULD have applied ILR would need to apply for an Extension to reach the 5yrs under the new regulations?
God, if that is the case that sounds so so unfair!!

crazypink

Yep..... even if they had a week left they would come under the new regs. Great way to make the bad ones think twice if they have to wait 5 yrs before they can move on to the next woman. For those who are genuine it makes no difference.

Jasmine

Yep..... even if they had a week left they would come under the new regs. Great way to make the bad ones think twice if they have to wait 5 yrs before they can move on to the next woman. For those who are genuine it makes no difference.
This i agree with. :)

Doesnt seem fair though - as im assuming there's a fee involved to extend?

crazypink

This i agree with. :)

Doesnt seem fair though - as im assuming there's a fee involved to extend?
Dont think so. Think it just means they will have to wait longer for ILR.

Jane BM

Suppose as long as there isnt an additional fee for these people it makes no odds apart from the anticipation theyd have been feeling the last few months leading up to what they thought was the 'next stage' in the process. Am all for sorting out the wheat from the chaff as well..... too damm right itll hopefully make them think twice!!!!

huttan

Dont forget - and no going back for a "good one" either...;) really hope people spread the word about it...then finally the chase might end for that reason. Its really sad to see how many have been hurt...with so much lies.

lynn

Dont forget - and no going back for a "good one" either...;) really hope people spread the word about it...then finally the chase might end for that reason. Its really sad to see how many have been hurt...with so much lies.
Iv always said this, and if their gen they won't mind the wait'

FoxyRoxie89

I think its great as my hubby asked me which way is better I said well it means we have longer to find the ILR fee LOL

Though does seem unfair that those thinking they are on a 2yr 3months will be extended, though the government want to catch as many in the net as possible!

Unless they will just wait for date of issue, hence all the refusals so people appeal and visa falls under new 5year length!