Will my husband lose his chance of getting a permanent green card if I divorce him?

L

Ladybug

I have been living with my husband for nearly three years. The first year we weren't married, and the other two we have been married. He only got his IRL one year after the marriage because at first it was denied without justification, so we had to contact a lawyer and sue immigration because they unlawfully denied him the resident status (they didn't give any explanation of why they were denying his papers). He have been through good and bad times together, and we have both helped each other in many ways. We have pictures together, we spent a month of vacations in his country together when he finally got his green card, we have our savings and checking account together, and he is on my credit card He also gives me his paycheck every week, which I deposit in full to our account.

But, I want to divorce him... I just don't feel in love with him anymore. He has another year of conditional green card status, and I just don't feel like I can wait that much. However, I do care about him and I want to help him. If we get divorced now, but I still go with him to the immigration interview next year, and I explain that I felt out of love, that he is a good person, a hard worker, and show all the things we have done together... will he get his permanent resident in the uk ? he was here with an EEA family permit , I am french and my hubby was from Tunisia !

salim

Hi and welcome to our forum :) Just i am bit confused you was talking about the IRL or green card , as i know we talk in the UK about the IRL means indefinite leave to remain permanent resident in the uk !

Trulymadlydeeply

If you are in the Uk and he has his ILR it means just that he stays here indefinitely!!! What is the green card you are talking about??

Essem

Staff member
Think the Green Card refers to the USA.

And welcome to the forum Ladybug

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you need to confirm weather this is US or UK.

If he has ILR in the UK then he can stay unless it gets cancelled by him committing an office you changing you mind on him does nto do that.

Such a shame all this talk of rats and a good guy gets dumped after a couple of years after doing nothing wrong a husbands for life not just for christmas :-(

I your shoes I would stay married / separate until all his papers are sorted and probably tell him this before hand so your singing off the same page. Then once he is sorted divorce if you relied on him for money/papers you would be asking for the same thing. Marriages end but at least with this gesture your trying to leave on good terms.

On a side note....

All I hear on this site is about bad Tunisian husbands I bet there are a fair number who move across the world only to get dumped and sent back.

Jane BM

Lol.....maybe we should get new slogans for our cars ' a husband is for Life not just for Christmas'....I like it!!

A niche in the market perhaps!!

gabriel612

I have been living with my husband for nearly three years. The first year we weren't married, and the other two we have been married. He only got his IRL one year after the marriage because at first it was denied without justification, so we had to contact a lawyer and sue immigration because they unlawfully denied him the resident status (they didn't give any explanation of why they were denying his papers). He have been through good and bad times together, and we have both helped each other in many ways. We have pictures together, we spent a month of vacations in his country together when he finally got his green card, we have our savings and checking account together, and he is on my credit card He also gives me his paycheck every week, which I deposit in full to our account.

But, I want to divorce him... I just don't feel in love with him anymore. He has another year of conditional green card status, and I just don't feel like I can wait that much. However, I do care about him and I want to help him. If we get divorced now, but I still go with him to the immigration interview next year, and I explain that I felt out of love, that he is a good person, a hard worker, and show all the things we have done together... will he get his permanent resident in the uk ? he was here with an EEA family permit , I am french and my hubby was from Tunisia !

I am not sure here what you are saying here. If he has his ILR then he has indefinate leave to remain in the UK. We don't have a green card in the UK that is USA. You are saying he has another year to wait that sounds to me like the visa (spouse visa ) if it is that you are speaking about then you do need to stay together as a married couple, then you would apply for ILR. But as you say he already has ILR status then as long as he does not get into any trouble (law wise) then there shouldn't be a problem if you divorce, but I am not fully understanding what you are saying.

Jane BM

Nor me, cos also stated that he came here under the EEA/EU route!

salim

I think she means IlR and her husband did not get as yet his ILRhe need to wait one year and her feelings for her husband look change , she did not feel in love with him anymore , the prob was he need to wait 1 year before getting the ILR and this time seems so far in her point because she want the divorce ! that's waht i catch from her reply !

Trulymadlydeeply

ILR"...................ILR Indefinite Leave to Remain :) :) not digging at you Salim but you know when something really gets on your nerves lolololololol that is one thing for me..original poster said it too :(