Yes! it worked! Vet for dog question

silvia bogle

Ok, I am looking for a vet in the la marsa/carthage area that knows how to clean a dog's teeth. I can't imagine lots of people having this done to their pets here since most of them just keep beasts behind fences.....

I need a kind vet that knows what he is doing and preferably also is authorized to issue the proper paperwork to return to Germany. My dalmatian has all his shots, chip and blood work to return, the law in Germany now requires after a 4 months absence that the dog gets a clean bill of health. It can only be authorized by certain vets and is supposed to be the equivalent of the Amtstierarzt. Who takes their dog home for the summer and knows what i am talking about?

Oh, one more thing: Go Schweinsteiger, Go!!!!!!

Mezoo

VIP Member
hi silvia, hope you have good luck with your quest for a vet. i've brought dogs overseas before but not into or out of tunisia yet. when i was in kuwait living i found out lists of vets from my embassy and i'd suggest your do the same. contact your embassy and my guess they will have lists of approved vets that certify your pet for travel and entry into your country. good luck !!

silvia bogle

thanks, why didn't I think of that!

UALRARK

Ok, I am looking for a vet in the la marsa/carthage area that knows how to clean a dog's teeth. I can't imagine lots of people having this done to their pets here since most of them just keep beasts behind fences.....

I need a kind vet that knows what he is doing and preferably also is authorized to issue the proper paperwork to return to Germany. My dalmatian has all his shots, chip and blood work to return, the law in Germany now requires after a 4 months absence that the dog gets a clean bill of health. It can only be authorized by certain vets and is supposed to be the equivalent of the Amtstierarzt. Who takes their dog home for the summer and knows what i am talking about?

Oh, one more thing: Go Schweinsteiger, Go!!!!!!

A vet cleaning dogs teeth?? Why I have never heard of such a thing! The image is hilarious. How do they go about that? It must be frightening for the dog. Ive seen doggy toothbrush glove thingies, is more than that even necessary?

(ps Ive never been a dog owner so I would really have no clue about these things)

Essem

Staff member
Hi Sylvia

Have you tried cleaning the dog's teeth yourself? I used to do Souma's - bought her the special doggy toothbrush and toothpaste - she didn't like it one bit but was always curious. She usually ended up trying to demolish the brush!

Hi,I don't suppose you know if any supermarkets sell dried dog food.Our nearest city is Sfax and we found tinned dog food in promogo but not dried which they prefer.Would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks Greta

Essem

Staff member
You could try the local Vets as they usually carry some stock.

ok thanks,will have to find out who or where that is as just arrived to kerkennah.

Essem

Staff member
Hi clumberdog

You might have a better chance of finding more vets in Sfax if all else fails.

Hope you're settling in well - I love Kerkennah and have visited a few times now.

MellieC

I don't know if this is a peculiarity to hammamet, but dog food huge bags of dried dog food (and Kitty litter) are sold in all the poultry and game butchers here!

My vet in hammamet is issuing the health certs for my cats, Kit is ready to go, Otey is about to start with jabs and chip!

silvia bogle

thanks for all the messages! Well, my dog is 12 and has tartar built-up. If a dog's mouth is not cleaned every now and then (every few years or when the vet tells you) their teeth get infected and worse things can happen to them. No, it is not a crazy idea of mine. I do have a dog toothbrush and tooth paste but he just swallows that as dessert and you cannot get the tartar built-up to go away. The dog gets put to sleep. It is expensive....but he is my dog and he cost me a lot more already just getting him to come over here with us.

So who is your vet in Hammamet?

Dried dog food is everywhere. Little shops on the corners carry it, Carrefour and Monoprix. I mix mine with rice, my dog is not too keen on the Tunisian brand. Spoilt European Animal!!!!

So, that was fun. So it's Germany against Holland. (hopefully we will win tonite). If you hear loud screaming tonite, it's me.......C'mon Schweinsteiger...go,go,go...

Mezoo

VIP Member
teeth cleaning quite common with older dogs and cats. i just had cisco's plaque removed, cost 60 bucks. older dogs commonly have build up, cisco's 14 and plaque sometimes causes infection in the gums. :)

silvia bogle

this is supposed to be a new threat, where in the world

do the words disappear to on my computer???

ok, then. my dalmation will have his teeth cleaned tomorrow. just like in europe they will put him to sleep, so I am confident, they know what they are doing....

the correct form for the vet I need to take him back to europe is called a veterinary certificate for domestic dogs - has to be filled out by an official veterinarian or veterinarian authorised by the competent authorite (in the latter case, teh competent authority must endorse the certificate)....

what a bunch of bull. if I bother to bring my dog all the way over here for tons of money they should be certain that I am taking care of the animal and he is up to date on all his shots. so since Tequila has been here for over 4 months he needs this certificate. C'mon someone out there must have a dog that has travelled to europe and needed that certificate.

I showed it to the vet that is cleaning the teeth tomorrow and he said he could fill it in. but how do i know that it is sufficient for the stern Germans?

I hate writing long stories about boring stuff - so if you read this all the way - thanks! and whoever has an answer can come and visit and i cook some wonderful food. sorry, no couscous!

silvia